Hikari vs. NLS

rtague

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2009
new york
I don't think it's a matter of opinion,JUST READ THE LABELS on both foods,it's very clear which food is more nutritius and better for your fish,fillers and mystery starches are a red flag for me.

Ogrim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
Australia
We can't trust FOOD LABELS in Supermarkets now-days, what makes you think the fish food labels are any better being honest or accurate? :ROFL:

Besides the NLS Thera+A is unnaturally RED period, when it comes out the other end of the fish... Is that on the label I wonder... EXCESSIVE RED FOOD COLORING... I am sure it's called something pleasing that ads nutritional value :naughty:

NLS Thera+A is okay, but can't beat Hikari BioGold in my book, irrespective what is on the label & my fish agree with me :popcorn:

I am feeding both for a while to add variety to the diet :headbang2

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
FYI - the only coloring agents found in NLS products, are natural ones that come from the natural raw ingredients used in the food.

crazy clowntang

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
virginia
Ok, I think RD. has invested his kids college fund into NLS and that is why he fights to the death to make it seem like NLS is the next best thing since sliced bread, and does not want to lose anyone to Hikari, Omega, etc. I would like NLS to let me talk to the fish that have told them they are WAY HAPPIER with NLS and that they can assimilate NLS's ingredients better than Hikari's ingredients. Where did you guys get this info? I started feeding Hikari cuz that's all there was in the fish store when I started in the hobby, then I saw Omega but never gave it a try. Then came the '8th wonder of the World' (per RD.). A fellow hobbyist (which might have been RD.) at the LFS told me to get NLS. He had bought into the hype and wanted me to join him. The first HYPE phrase I saw was "YOUR FISH WILL LOOK MORE VIBRANT". But we can't assess the quality of a food based on the color display of the fish, right? But that was the hook NLS threw at the public. So I gave it a try, for 6 months, and the results were the same. The fish had the same color, girth, growth rates as they did with Hikari. I switched back to Hikari because it was cheaper than NLS AT THE STORE. Then I gave Omega a try and same results. So I decided to stay with Hikari. Why try to fix something if it aint't broke? In all what I am trying to say is, ALL OF US HOBBYIST care about one thing and ONE THING ONLY! How nice our fish look!! Guys like RD. could go till kingdom come trying to convince guys like me NLS is DA BOMB, and when it comes down to it, there is only one thing that will really change anyone's mind, that is price!. If I get the same results using Hikari, Omega and NLS, what do you think the deciding factor would be? Say it with me kids, PRICE!!! At the local FLS, NLS is the most expensive, then Omega, and Hikari is the cheapest, that is why I buy it and I am not gonna fake on it. But don't tell me NLS is gonna make my fish live 100 years, or that my fish will assimilate NLS ingredients better. The first fish me and my dad bought were 2 tiger oscars, who are still alive BTW and are 10 yrs old, and have only eaten Hikari their whole fish lives! How about that for longevity?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, back in the day I also fed Hikari for many years, and your point is?

I have clearly stated (over & over again) in this discussion that if one is happy feeding what they are feeding, then by all means keep doing what you are doing. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head, nor is anyone saying that Hikari is a crappy food.

I have also (more than once) steered those who are looking to be super economical towards feed mills, where you can save a TON of money if cost is your only, or main concern. Things are tough out there for a lot of people, so I can certainly understand if someone feels the need to buy farm feed in bulk to feed their fish.

Ask yourself why on earth would I do such a thing if losing customers was a concern of mine? I don't work for New Life, nor have I ever sold anything to anyone on MFK. I strictly deal with retail vendors, and only in the Great White North. So please put the salesman card away, if you have actually taken the time to read through this discussion I think you'll find that I have a fairly solid grasp on the subject of fish nutrient requirements, and have even offered advice/assistance to those who only feed frozen food. (which NLS does not manufacture or sell)

So if this is all about sales, I must be the worst salesman in history!

None of what has been stated negates the simple fact that not all fish foods are created equally, any more than all dog foods are, or cat foods, or bird foods, etc-etc-etc.

If you want to live in a fantasy world & believe otherwise, that's certainly your prerogative. :)

Joeygee23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2009
Hartford, CT
NLS is $50 online for a 5lb pail. If Hiakri makes you and your fish happy...buy Hikari.

Ogrim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
Australia
Hey RD! Why am I not surprised you are not missed here :naughty::chillpill:
I can see you gliding right about now :nilly:

The Paratilapia sp. are taking to the NLS Thera+A 3mm! No more chewing of the pellets :headbang2

However I am still not happy about my fish passing BRIGHT RED FECES, irrespective on how NATURAL the COLORING claims to be by NLS. Too much of anything can't be all that good :thumbsdow

NATURAL means it's not MAN-MADE right & nothing else! There are numerous industrial byproducts, that are NATURAL & I would not touch it or go near it or feed it to my kids like some do:popcorn:

MrGillz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
I personally feed my fish a mix of cichlid excel and bio gold plus. If im not mistaken they are the higher end hikari foods and still reasonably priced, not cheap but affordable for the results. I noticed a huge difference in size and color and activity since I changed to these from Wardleys from walmart and flakes. Im not sure if its the best but this combo works well for my fish, they are growing well and bright and happy and they love it!

fishguts

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
pennsylvania
Joeygee23;4688581; said:
NLS is $50 online for a 5lb pail. If Hiakri makes you and your fish happy...buy Hikari.
ya i know i bought some nls from pharoah. should arrive today so ill see if my fish like it. if not ill take the back of pencil and ram the food down there throats.:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store