Hikari vs. NLS

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
nice speech,but in that whole speech you did not once say you feed your fish exclusively on nls,which is what i said. No one pellet provides all the nutrients that is needed,you yourself said you add a dash of garlic . Why i thought nls had garlic in it so why add a dash of garlic? Why add vitamins? Answer(will not shout this time) no one food or pellet can supply all that is needed. Nls may be a great food,but if i cant tell the difference in my fish and i have a few fish that have been with me for years,you can preach till you blue in the face. there is no way to prove which is better unless you have a lab in your house which none of us dont.For every fish that you see that was raised on nls some one else can provide a picture of an equally stunning fish raised on hikari. So as i said this debate will never be solved. You keep selling nls and i will keep buying hikari and we can agree to disagree. Happy fish keep and many more enjoyable years of it.

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
btw, whose is to say the ingredients are 100%,anyone can write the ingredients of the bag and make it sound good.and we all no most companies ingredients are not 100%(could be a dash of garlic per 100 lbs)we just dont know. and i was just being a smart ass with the first ofpart of my last post.(just incase any one took it the wrong way. but i do wish everyone happy fish keeping.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Open a container of NLS & you can smell the pungent odor of garlic.
That should answer your question. In the TherA it's so potent that some people on this site have actually complained about the intense garlic smell. On both accounts that takes a wee bit more than a dash per 100 lbs of food. ;)

As previously stated, I have a difficult time backing companies that use raw ingredients such as corn flakes, dried bakery products, alpha starch, soybean meal, rice bran, gluten meal, MSG, etc. with some of their foods being as high as 17% ash content.

I don't need someone in a white lab coat to explain to me what's going on behind the scenes, nor do I need a feed trial performed by anyone, or pictures posted of their fish. Been there, done that.

If this is what you have determined is best for the long term health of your fish then by all means carry on. No one is holding a gun to anyones head.

HrHagel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
Denmark
RD.;4878892; said:

For those of you that insist that a shotgun approach of feeding a wide variety of single foods will provide more optimum nutrition than a single dry pellet, I will ask the same question that I have been asking for years, which to date no one has ever been able to answer. Exactly what nutrients are missing from NLS, that can be found in the wide variety of foods that you feed?

Specifically, which amino acids, lipids, vitamins, or trace elements?

Anyone?
stab. vitamin C in the cichlids pellets.

?

seel1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
uk
personally RD im a hikari man but i love reading your posts. they are very informative and interesting, keep them cumming!

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
as i stated i was just being a smart ass.
I could write anything on a label,but unless you are actually behind the scenes,you nor i actually knows whats in nls or hikari. Thats why i supplement with other food source to make sure they are getting the best nutrition i personnaly can provide. this thread is a good read but pointless in the long run. Because no one can prove which is better by personal experiences. You feed nls i feed hikari and i cant say my fish are healtheir than yours and you can say yours are healthier than mine unless we send them of to a lab . But if you can prove yours are healthier than mine by feeding nls than by al means go right ahead. but just quoting ingredients off the bag is not going to prove that. This is a debate that will never be solved.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I didn't know you had to choose one or the other. :screwy:

I feed both. My main tank (SA cichlid community) gets:

Hikari Cichlid Gold
Hikari Cichlid Excel
Hikari Sinking Wafers
NLS Cichlid Pellets
NLS Growth Pellets