Hoplias Lacerdae

hoyapac1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boston, MA
Hey guys...brand new to the forums. Starting my first aggressive tank and hopefully getting my first wolf soon!! Any reccomendations on 'potentially' (lol) good tank mates? I understand they will have to be aggressive and larger in size...thanks guys!

fishinman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
Where the sun don't shine
channarox;3944491; said:
it doesnt look anything like lacerdae or curupira to me either,but felipe has said before they the dentiaries ALMOST touch,but never do,like in the second pic.
of course,it might just have been pulled away from each other.
lets let felipe have his say.

Right... I believe what Felipe had said earlier was that australis jaw was somewhere in the middle between mala and lacerdae.

Also, I do not see how the two fish in the under jaw pics could be the same specimen. They look very different IMO.

The 2nd under jaw pic looks just just like the wolf I have. The dentiaries are somewhat convergent (more so than lacerdae) but they never touch, even when the fish is completely at rest.

Felipe Cantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Uruguay
www.aqvaterra.com
It doesnt look like lacerdae or curupira because it's an australis!!...the fact that the australis belongs to the "lacerdae Group" does not make it identical.
I also sent a pic of a lacerdae (juvenil too).

fishinman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
Where the sun don't shine
Felipe Cantera;3944667; said:
It doesnt look like lacerdae or curupira because it's an australis!!...the fact that the australis belongs to the "lacerdae Group" does not make it identical.
I also sent a pic of a lacerdae (juvenil too).

Felipe- please resend the lacerdae pic. I never received that one...

Felipe Cantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Uruguay
www.aqvaterra.com
"Also, I do not see how the two fish in the under jaw pics could be the same specimen."

Same specimen??...who supposed that? ...hmmm....I was the one who collected all 3 specimens (malabaricus, australis and lacerdae) during that trip....and I was the one who hold the fishes when the italian guy (Lorenzo Bardotti) took the pics...sorry guys... but the only reason why I started to post here was because I wanted to help....not for be classed as a lier.

BraveheartCalif

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
Bermuda
Do you happen to have images of the lower part of the head ? (to see the dentaries). Usually this feature is easy to see and distinguishes australis from malabaricus. Both Australis, Mala and Lacerdae, all occur in the southern rivers of the Uruguay basin; if this is truly where these fish where caught.

But having said that, this fish in the pic below does look like what I know from H. australis. It usually has a more "golden-brown" colour on the lateral, and the snout is somewhat rounded in lateral view. Hoplias lacerdae is larger, with a pointy snout and has a darker and more "grey-blue" colour. Hoplias malabaricus could also have a similar golden colour of H. australis, so you should definately have the information on the gular region checked (see if the dentaries are parallel or convergent anteriorly. Thanks for the pics Felipe~

austral.jpg

BraveheartCalif

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
Bermuda
The first pic is definately a Malabaricus. The second one is Australis (as have parallel dentaries and around 5 pores on each dentary. The 3rd pic looks like a Lacerdae alright, as the dentaries are also parallel but there are more pores on each dentary. See how the colour patter are similar, though...

* This is perhaps the best comparison of pics ive ever seen of live wolf fish. This should be archieved for future reference.

I support Felipes findings 100%. Again thanks Felipe for your collecting and sharing.
Erik

mala.jpg

Aus or Lac.jpg

lac.jpg

Felipe Cantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Uruguay
www.aqvaterra.com
"Usually this feature is easy to see and distinguishes australis from malabaricus. Both Australis, Mala and Lacerdae, all occur in the southern rivers of the Uruguay basin; if this is truly where these fish where caught."

All 3 juveniles were collected at the same place;
Rio Uruguay / "Villa Constitucion" in Salto, north west Uruguay.

The larger H.australis was collected just 2 klm. from the first place.

We have been collecting all 3 species for many...many years ago...and 2001 I sent the info of "a possible new Hoplias" to the Museum of Stockholm in Sweden and Porto Alegre in Brazil (Dr.Sven O. Kullander and Dr.Luiz Malabarba).....many years later, 2009, the work of H.australis was done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store