How’s the weather?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Those temps are pretty much identical to those which we are forecast to see for the next week...and, by my standards, that is horrific! :WHOA::nilly:

As an added bonus, we are having the worst mosquito year by far since I moved here over a decade ago. I know, I'm a whiner...

• Haha
Reactions: Jexnell

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Roof top sensor at work is currently 33.5C. We are officially hotter than the Philippines!

• Wow

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm not even going to comment on the blighty weather, it's depressing, and it's meant to be summer!

However, here is a screenshot of where I'll be in a few days, Kalamaki in Greece. As you can see these temps go up to Wednesday the 17th July. We fly out on Thursday 18th.

What's the betting than when we land it's snowing!!! It would just be my luck would that, lol.
Screenshot_20240708-205846.png

• Wow
Reactions: RD. and Jexnell

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Currently 36C on the roof here at work. This doesn’t feel like holiday weather to me!

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Aside from missing the changing seasons, that's another big reason why I don't think that living so close the Equator is all that appealing; as a guy who typically sleeps 5 - 6 hours nightly, I love the long days and short nights of summer; more daylight to enjoy the outdoors.

Today, 23May, you have 12 hours 28 minutes of daylight. Your sunset...a quick sunset...occurs before 6pm. By comparison, up here in non-Paradisical Canuckistan, my day today will be 15 hours 54 minutes long...the sun will set more slowly when it does finally set, at almost 9:30pm...and we're still almost a month away from the summer solstice, when we will have well over 16 hours of daylight. Your solstice will produce just a hair over 13 hours of daylight. Sunrise is virtually the same in both places, around 5:20 - 5:30am.

Back when my wife and I would go south for vacations, it was usually during winter...and I always felt cheated by the fact that, while those vacation days were warm and pleasant...or often hot and not so pleasant...they were just as abbreviated as the days I had just left. So much to do...so little daylight in which to do it. I can't just lay on the beach like a comatose lizard, soaking up sunshine; what a waste of time! :)
Ya, they have no twilight at the EE-KWAY-TOR.. You get a long day then BOOM sun drops like it's shot and then blackness. Up north the day is shorter but twilight just goes on and on and on, past 10, 11 O'clock or whatever. Sunset tick tick tick...

And let's not forget NO SHADOW days...

ZERO SHADOW DAY

The lack of shadow is beautiful too. And it happens twice a year, for places between +23.5 and -23.5 degrees latitude. The Sun is almost never exactly overhead at noon, but usually transits a bit lower in altitude, a bit to the north or a bit to the south. We have all studied in school that the Earth's rotation axis is inclined at 23.5 degrees to the plane of its revolution around the Sun, which is why we have seasons. This also means that the Sun, in its highest point of the day, will move from 23.5 degrees south of the celestial equator to 23.5 degrees north of the equator (Uttarayan), and back again (Dakshinayan), in a year. Of course, the northern most and southern most points are the two solstices, and the crossing of the Sun across the equator are the two equinoxes.
For people living between +23.5 and -23.5 degrees latitude, the Sun's declination will be equal to their latitude twice - once during Uttarayan and once during Dakshinayan. On these two days, the Sun will be exactly overhead at noon and will not cast a shadow of an object on the ground. This Zero Shadow Day will clearly be different for different places on earth.

Meanwhile we still roast in D.C...in the 90s even at night. Currently 95 at 6:30. My patio has averaged 101 degrees for almost 10 days with solar curtains closed. And we're just cracking into July. Our legendary heat index has been busy in the DMV, anywhere from 105 to 115. Nice and hot, come here and breathe water!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
36C in town today, up on the roof at work 40C. I would imagine that we are breaking records all over in our Province.
Thank god for AC. Most folks in our area don’t have it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Looks like we broke the old record set in 1906. Sounds like more to come next week. Good news is, in another 6 months or less we should be back to more seasonal temps, such as -50C. lol

• Wow
Reactions: jjohnwm and Jexnell

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Looks like we broke the old record set in 1906. Sounds like more to come next week. Good news is, in another 6 months or less we should be back to more seasonal temps, such as -50C. lol
Back in 1906 when the last record was set, and a long long time before the phrases "global warming" and "climate change" were a thing, I wonder what mad theories the boffins of the time had for the crazy extremes of the canuckistanny weather!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, hard to say. lol I will say this, I’ve lived in this city for 55 of my 65 years on this planet, and weather extremes in both directions seem to be happening far more often than in previous decades.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store