How’s the weather?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
weather extremes in both directions
You're not kidding!! From 40°C in mid July down to -50°C only five months or so later is about as crazy as you'll get on this planet.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Good news - we are road tripping to San Francisco. Bad news, we’re going east of the Sierra’s. Worse news, we drive to Death Valley National Park to go off roading… for fun. Even worse news, todays high was 121 degrees Fahrenheit - 49.5 celsius.
I like a good news and bad news anecdote. But only you my friend could turn it into a good news, bad news, worse news and even worse news anecdote, lol.

Stay safe on your trip young surfer dude.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Good news - we are road tripping to San Francisco. Bad news, we’re going east of the Sierra’s. Worse news, we drive to Death Valley National Park to go off roading… for fun. Even worse news, todays high was 121 degrees Fahrenheit - 49.5 celsius.
Egad! I can't believe you are in a position where you are being forced to endure those temperatures while playing outside. It wouldn't be so bad if you had some say in the matter...you know, some control over whether or not you had to go there and do that...oh, wait...:grinno:

Honestly, I don't know how you could even consider going outside in that. I'd be a goner. I started an outside project yesterday in the cool of morning, and by 2:00pm it was 32C...but I had gotten to a point where I had to finish one section of the work, couldn't leave it half-done. I dang near stroked out; drank gallons of water and iced tea, stayed in the shade, worked at a slow pace, no really strenuous or energetic work...and I was still half-dead when I finally dragged myself into the house. Only that magical elixir...cold beer...was able to revive me. :)

At 49C, I'm not exaggerating when I say that I wouldn't step outside.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
At 49C, I'm not exaggerating when I say that I wouldn't step outside.
Yeah, i really hate the heat. 28 celsius at my house is still too much. Im going to be blasting the AC. What I hate the most is the humidity - Death Valley stays around 7% humidity during the day compared to @jjohnwm’s 60% average during the day. Atleast its only for a day, 20C weather coming soon after!

Reactions: jjohnwm

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
My parents retired to Phoenix, AZ back in the late 1980s. I went out to visit them in June of 1990 and on June 26,1990, Phoenix had its hottest day in modern history, 122 deg. F. They shut the airport down for several hours because the plane's programming for setting the wing flaps maxed out at 120F. The place where Dad and Mom lived had an indoor pool and I availed myself of that amenity on that 122F day. When I finished my swim, I exited the pool building while still wet from the swim. When I pushed the door open, the negative pressure sucked in a blast of the 122F air and I felt a chill pass over my upper body. The only way that I can explain the phenomenon is that the humidity was so low that the hot, dry air evaporated the water from my skin so fast that the temperature of my skin was lowered enough to give me momentary goosebumps.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
You're not kidding!! From 40°C in mid July down to -50°C only five months or so later is about as crazy as you'll get on this planet.
Not even close. In our Province we have this little thing called a Chinook.

Canada's Biggest Temperature Change in One Day | Reader's Digest (readersdigest.ca)

Pincher Creek, Alberta, is located about 200 kilometres south of Calgary and holds the national record for the biggest temperature change in one day. According to reports, on January 10, 1962, the temperature rose from a chilly from -19 C to a balmy 22 C—in just one hour. That’s an increase of 41 degrees (or roughly two-thirds of a degree per minute)!

Certainly not a typical Chinook wind, but I have seen overnight temps climb fairly rapidly, and in the dead of winter most folks welcome the sudden change.

What I haven't experienced, is the extreme temps that we now see on a more regular basis, lasting numerous days, or weeks. Ditto to the resulting wildfires, and the smoke that these massive fires produce. Up until 6-7 years ago, the number, and size of the wildfires didn't create air quality issues locally, let alone clear across the country. Now for us at work, it's become a seasonal thing. Merv 13 filtration and/or 100% damper closures in our HVAC systems during wildfire season.

People can attach whatever name they like, all I can say is it's certainly outside the norm.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The mercury reached 100 degrees here in Philly earlier,so that was pretty hot...and about an hour ago I spotted a stray cat that appeared to be in rough shape,it was quite thin and was probably dehydrated.

• Sad
Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Definitely rain season here in the Philippines. Last couple days the clouds have not burned off, and the temps have been pleasant (for the Philippines anyways) hanging around 27, 28°C. The nightly light shows from the lightning is fantastic.

• Love
Reactions: Sassafras
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store