How Many Arapaima in Something Like This?

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
see if you can't smuggle in a boto freshwater dolphin too lol

awesome project. definitely doable, just gonna take a #$%^ load of money and time. an amazon biotope would be awesome there, and then you can mix it up with some larger non-amazon fish (paddlefish, although they need cooler water)

malawi mayhem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2007
Stamford, CT
This is a very interesting project... and I look forward to following it!!

I have often thought of a home design with this as it foundation... and the viewing area in the center exactly as you have placed it... above would the living spaces with the ability to look down... even thought of a glass floor once....

crazy.......!!!!

I meant all of us...

very cool...!

Good luck...!!!

mm

Columbian Shark Catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
California
if its only 5 feet wide, there likes a problem, given that half full grown arapamias wont even be able to turn :/

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
There will be four bridges going into the center for the viewing window right? I think I would be a little freaked. I mean my 7 inch Oscar jumps a good 4 inches out of the water when feeding, imagine a 8+ foot Arapaima during feeding time. That thing might jump a good 2-3 feet, and if you fell in, I doubt they would hesitate to just lunge and take a bite. This might be you lasting doom pete, lol. but for real though, just makes me a bit afraid if they were to jump at you or someone to fall in.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The bridges would be 8-10' wide and arch up over the water. They would have railings to keep people from falling in and probably mesh of some sort to keep people from throwing things in the water or trying to feed the fish.

Just think of it as a 60' 1/2 of a bagel with a 20' center hole and you've got it. I went with 60' to give 20' in the center and 20' from the center wall to the outside edge. 20' should be plenty for arapaimas to turn since max is around 14'.

Arapaimas jump, but I haven't seen them jump in order to get food. Most I've seen in captivity eat pellets.

How amazing would it be to feed your hand to err hand feed a 10'+ arapaima?

Thalan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
jacksonville
I can't imagine arapaimas being that aggressive, I mean they're not starved sharks or anything.
But anyway that tank would be absolutely amazing, best of luck.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I have an idea! Why not make a walkway at one end that goes under the water. It would be how you get to the center viewing area and you could put a couple of windows in it for added viewing while walking out to the center. Doesn't have to be very wide at all. I kind of have a similar design somewhere I'll have to dig up. Basically I want to do an underwater tank/pond also, but will need to buy the land first like you. Mine will be well down the road though. My idea was to do a 40' x 40' x 8' hole in the ground. It would be split kind of unevenly though. The walkway like I suggested would split it in half(sorta) On one side it would measure 40' x 20' x 8', then right next to that would be the walkway in the center. That would measure 40' x 10' x 8'. 10' wide for better viewing and photography. The viewing panes would be hella expensive, and I'm thinking I could just do the center with 4 panes of 8' x 4' x 3". On the other side of the walkway would be another tank for smaller species of fish. It would measure 20' x 10'x 8'. the 20' x 10' x 8' that's left would be the filter room. Completely underground. It would just have concrete poured walls with the windows inset for viewing. Above that I would make a partial green house with many solar cells to help with electrical costs, heating, ect. The big tank would be roughly 48,000 gals, and the other would be of course 1/4th that volume at 12,000 gals. Would be awesome, but we'll see if I'm ever able to do it or not!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store