Ideas for an all Amphilophus tank....

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
I got fleeced on a fish deal a few years back (I usually do but whatever) and the guy gave me three “Midas” cichlids like 3”...one turned out to be a 13-14” Fader FH mutt with a baseball sized nuchal hump...he was my ultimate fav fish but I lost him on a cross country trip when I relocated. sometimes the mutts are the best!

Reactions: Jexnell and DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
This weekend will probably be the start of the first wave of thinning. The smallest Petsmart Red Devil has a person interested in him....

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
If everything goes as planned... will see you Jexnell Jexnell on Sunday (Mid-morning/early afternoon). A Hoga coming your way. Pretty sure the one I have in mind is a sub-dominant male since the largest Hoga chases him. It actually has better color and pattern than the dominant one.

• Love
Reactions: Jexnell

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Jexnell Jexnell , here is an early picture of the 3 Hoga for reference. I would guess they are all about 6" now. Eating a mix of Omega One and NLS floating but seem to prefer a sinking pellet. At this point they dont seem like diggers and are very active in the tank.

IMG_20191016_paint.jpg

Hoga #1 is the dominate, resident bada$$. He rules the tank and can be distinguished by top stripes blending together. Normally shows as very pink all over with pale banding

Hoga #2 has a little spot by its tail stripe. This one actually is the calmest and bottom of the pecking order of the 3, also more colorful than the dominant Hoga. Not sure on sex, gets chased by Hoga #3 a lot and a little by Hoga #1

Hoga #3 is the one I will bring to you Jexnell Jexnell . This picture does not quite show it but it actually shows better color and stripes than the dominant hoga. It tends to have more red on the front end and darker stripes. Since this one gets the brunt of chasing from Hoga #1 believe it to be next male in line.

Its not going to be fun catching these guys in the 8ft 300 gallon... lol. Even trying to figure out which one is which when they all fade. Will probably have to catch all 3 and sort separately

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I hear you about catching small fish in a big tank. I get to catch them Tetras in a 6ft 125. Just the Black Neons are going. The Red Eyed ones will stay and be a dither/dinner.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I hear you about catching small fish in a big tank. I get to catch them Tetras in a 6ft 125. Just the Black Neons are going. The Red Eyed ones will stay and be a dither/dinner.
I will do a water change on the tank and once drained down a bit will then "try" to catch the fish.... 8ft is a lot of chasing in a tall tank.
I actually bought this on Lowes Black Friday sales to help, best $25 i could have spent
250-lbs-lb-aluminum-work-platform-project-v-4130024686.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store