INDY DIY GUYS

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I will try and upload some pictures off of my phone. Nothing positive has happened in the last couple weeks. I have had a tank leak and a tank crack down the side on me. I have been focused on damage control lately. I am also trying to find a replacement tank.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Pharaoh;3836351; said:
I will try and upload some pictures off of my phone. Nothing positive has happened in the last couple weeks. I have had a tank leak and a tank crack down the side on me. I have been focused on damage control lately. I am also trying to find a replacement tank.
Was the cracked tank on styrofoam? Just an internal audit for me. A buddy of mine had his tank crack and it was on styrofoam, something about leveling or something, but the tank cracked as soon as he filled it. Who knows if the styrofoam caused it or not? Just an FYI for me, good info, thanks!

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
sorry to kind of go off topic , but i think i would get the best answer here. You guys seem really good with numbers. So what do you think the number of pot scrubbies to gallons would be? Meaning i am making my sump and wondering how much bio area i need. I know as much as possible is always the best , but i like to know my number then double it.

The tank is a 360

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
APAC;3838261; said:
man sorry to hear about that....what caused the crack?
Egon;3838321; said:
Was the cracked tank on styrofoam? Just an internal audit for me. A buddy of mine had his tank crack and it was on styrofoam, something about leveling or something, but the tank cracked as soon as he filled it. Who knows if the styrofoam caused it or not? Just an FYI for me, good info, thanks!

To answer, the tank was not on styrofoam.

It was a combination of a couple things. I had a leak that drained the tank past the heater and the heater weakened the glass and it cracked.

Or, the heater went bad and caused the glass to weaken and crack, thus, draining all the water. To be honest, I'm not really sure.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Pharaoh;3839198; said:
To answer, the tank was not on styrofoam.

It was a combination of a couple things. I had a leak that drained the tank past the heater and the heater weakened the glass and it cracked.

Or, the heater went bad and caused the glass to weaken and crack, thus, draining all the water. To be honest, I'm not really sure.
Awww man that sux! Eventually that happens to everyone. Some fluke accident, power outage, little kid putting cat food in the tank...............and the fish are dead. I can really appreciate and admire a fish keeper when they have keep a fish alive for more than 10+ years. All the little things that can happen that are completely out of someone's control.
Thanks for posting the bad stuff. A lot of times people wont share what went wrong (me) because they are so pissed. I cracked a glass hood once putting a hot snake lamp on it %&*&^%$# I thought I was going to explode I was so mad lol Funny now.......kind of :( LOL

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Here's a bit of an update for everyone. I know I haven't posted much lately.

Decided that I wanted to go a different way with the sump for the central setup. With the 125 giving out on me, I decided to change things up a bit. I removed the 100 rubbermaid tote-sump and turned a 75G into a sump for the central. I switched to filter socks instead of filter media. I gotta say, I'm loving the filter socks. They get a lot more of the debris.

Also looking at adding a couple more tanks to the basement. Stay tuned. It will be a week or two before I get them, but I will be getting them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store