INDY DIY GUYS

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Well, since I didn't have the tanks to take pictures of, I was going to let you and Mike post pics of the ones you got. Its all about spreading MTS.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I am thinking of setting up a couple more 30s for right now. I need to get some heaters and those tanks from Dracor. I am also going to try and set up the 20L under the 29 and fill them both up.
I am going to get the 125 cleaned out and go get some bulkheads for them. I want to get that tank setup.
Now that I have the scrubbies, it is time to start putting the sump tegether.
I am going to do a combination of fish sorting/moving. That and I will be getting more fish this weekend (Front/Pigs) and possibly more in a couple weeks (trophs).
WOW, that list just got long for this weekend.

tnnsman7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
Wow, just read all 46 pages of this thread. Great stuff. I've decided I live in the wrong area. Indy sounds like the place to be for a cichlid hobbyist like myself. Everyone up here is either into salt water or if they do fresh, it's live bearers, bettas and planted tanks. I'm like a fish out of water up here! I go to the local fish auctions and I see people going crazy over a bag of fancy guppies, but just sit and yawn when some cichlids are being auctioned off. A group of large, adult duboisi tropheus sold for $5 at the last auction!!!

No real tank deals to be had up here either. It must be the dutch influence here in West Michigan. Everyone tries to sell their used tanks for more than they paid for them new!

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
eh cough, cough, cough. I just spit up my coffee. Sounds like you need to venture down here for the tank deals and we need to head up the for the cichlid deal. Trophs for $5. I would have been all over that.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Oh, I also just thought of something else we might try this weekend. I am trying to talk Dracor into bring a few tanks over and we are going to start disassembling them in order to reseal them. I know I need to reseal the 29 and he has a few that he needs to reseal.

tnnsman7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
I've got to get one of those kreg jigs. Do you have a good source for them?

I'm getting ready to build this elaborate dual stand with utility sink built in. A 120 gallon acrylic cube tank and the utility sink on the bottom. A 5' long 75 gallon acrylic tank above. This jig would make this project a lot easier to pull off.

I have a very small fish room with several large tanks planned. I have to get very creative to make them all fit. Currently I have 2, 100 longs in one rack. Another rack with a 90/75 combo. I'm planning the rack with 120, sink & 75. I'd like to get 2 more 100 longs in there if my wife won't divorce me if I do it! Currently they reside in my garage on a metal stand, but winter in Michigan is not garage tank friendly!

ssalyers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2008
Monroe, Ohio
I would really like to know where you guys are getting such good deals on tanks.
I have been wanting to bulid a fish room for a couple of mths. now and can not find a deal on a single tank are what I would call a good deal. I live between Cincy & Dayton Oh. and would drive to Indy to get some. So try to hook a brother up.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Sadly enough, wait long enough and you should see some of us getting rid of some tanks. As I get more tanks to suit what I plan on setting up, other tanks don't seem to make the design cut. I usually list them on craigslist or the forums to sell.

We will try to keep people posted of the deal, but we usually buy them most of the time. It is all about having the cash and the reaction time. Of course, the last batch we got, the guy couldn't get rid of them. He had them for sale for a couple weeks before I ever saw the post.

You wanna buy my 70G corner tank? It's for sale. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store