Status
Not open for further replies.

R1_Ridah

In Loving Memory
Apr 4, 2005
WEST COAST
samurai-h;3067751; said:
jeoy,
exactly that one came from rio tocantins. those oscars have been collected in middle tocantins to upper tocantins for years.
the japanese exporter in Goias state have exported for 5 years.

The Sao Paulo Oscar Jeff has sold a few times in past has a very similar patten. I have discussed a few times wit jeff, but his answer was orbic only. Japanese judged it could be crassipinnis or very similar sub species.

here are a few original crassipinis pic from west pantanal region near Bolivia

View attachment 357892
View attachment 357893

here are some juve pics of Rio Tocantins just same with jeoy's pet
View attachment 357901
View attachment 357902
View attachment 357903
View attachment 357904
when they are smaller size, those lines are consecutive spots.

regarding rubroocellatus, it seems that Jardine described in 1843 as cychla rubro-ocellata from rio negro fish. That old illustration is almost the one from rio Branco (Branch in the Rio Negro)
German book is reffering this species.

please don't think this post is any offensive reply..

Seiichi
Thanks for the response Seiichi. I did not want to mention your name because I figure you would just reply and add some additional info.

motoro ray

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2005
new york
Here are some of my former and present Oscars. The first one is my former Sao Paolo oscar that actually went to John O Malley. The other pics with the speckled faces are Rio Tocantins that Jeff Rapp had sent to me that came from John O'Malleys collection after his passing.

Rio Salto

Rio Tocantin

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
sandtiger;3064133; said:
I don't think anyone is "so sure" there is only one species of Astronotus out there but that fact remains that only two have been described by science. It would not surprise me to find out that there are several species or sub-species of Astronotus but as it stands A. rubroocellatus is not an acknowledged species and so the fish in question cannot be A. rubroocellatus. I'm sorry if this offends the OP but one hobbyist posting pictures of an oscar and claiming it is a new species does not make it so and until a source is provided describing this new species I will continue to remain skeptical of its existance. That is not to say that this fish is not a unique sub-species or varient not often seen in the hobby, it very well could be, I just doubt that a new species of Astronotus was described and the only thing to back it up is a Japanese fish store and a hobbyist.
I hope the post below from Seiichi clears up a few concerns that you were having on the rubroocellatus. As stated before it has been described as a fish that comes from the Rio Negro. Seiichi is far more knowledgable than me so don't take my word for it. :)

samurai-h;3067751; said:
regarding rubroocellatus, it seems that Jardine described in 1843 as cychla rubro-ocellata from rio negro fish. That old illustration is almost the one from rio Branco (Branch in the Rio Negro)
German book is reffering this species.

please don't think this post is any offensive reply..

Seiichi

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Back on page five of this thread I wrote...
Further research has lead me to the name Cychla rubroocellata (Jardine & Schomburgk, 1843) but this is an outdated synonym for Astronotus ocellatus and no longer valid.

R1_Ridah

In Loving Memory
Apr 4, 2005
WEST COAST
KaiserJeep;3066996; said:
I've never seen any markings like those before. Very nice fish!
RABiD Achilles;3067208; said:
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Astronotus crassipinnis. very nice fish.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks.

The Tocantin came by way of Japan from Seiichi. The Colombia from Wes (rarefish) and I have one more that I will post that came from Rich (RKC). It's in a tank that's pretty difficult tp photograph. Will try over the weekend.

Three sources that I feel is very credible and knowledgeble in the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store