chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
fugupuff;3062698; said:
!

winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special olympics
ahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahhah :ROFL:

I often wonder why people need to add raisans to other peoples shreddies to say it politely?

Can't people leave well enough alone and be positive.

Having sat back and simply watched this thread I thought I would throw in my two cents.

That fish in the first starting of the thread is stunning to sayt he least and more interesting is this, provided it does not die early ash will be more than able to show a picture of the adult.

I would have to side with the more veteran posters here on what they have to say about this fish, I have seen of of the other posts of ash. I must say not so common fish have I seen there.

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
skools717;3061944; said:
you were getting jumped all over :grinno:
:nilly:

As I said I think 3 times already I can't wait to see what this oscar looks like when he/she matures.:)

R1_Ridah

In Loving Memory
Apr 4, 2005
WEST COAST
KaiserJeep;3064384; said:
Sorry, but I have no online reference for you. I always go first to my 1974 looseleaf edition of Exotic Tropical Fishes (Axelrod, Emmens, Sculthorpe, Voderwinkler, and Pronek). I kept this updated until the late 1980's with the monthly supplements from Tropical Fish Hobbiest magazine, until just about the time that Dr. Axelrod started to feud with his more conservative colleagues who challenged a number of his discoveries via DNA analysis. TFH was basicly his means of affording several annual specimen collecting trips, he had about 20,000 subscribers who awaited his latest issues with bated breath and then went to fish shows in search of his new species.

I actually met Dr. Axelrod on one of his expeditions to the Aleutian Islands, where he was studying anadromous fish species (trout and salmon). I was a 20-something member of the Armed Forces stationed there on a military base where we were holding back the Russian horde from invading the Free World during the Cold War. I was assigned to drive around the scientists in an M-37 truck and make sure that they slept indoors and ate regular meals. He stimulated in me an interest in this hobby which has persisted over 30 years. It is sad to think of him as a convicted felon - although I imagine he is out on parole by now.
Okay, thanks for the response. I was advised that this was collected in the Tocantins region.

RABiD Achilles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Lafayette, LA.
R1_Ridah;3066021; said:
This one pictured below was said to be collected in Colombia. Anyone care to share any thoughts on what specie it is.
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Astronotus crassipinnis. very nice fish.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

samurai-h

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
Death Star
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
R1_Ridah;3066006; said:
Okay, thanks for the response. I was advised that this was collected in the Tocantins region.
jeoy,
exactly that one came from rio tocantins. those oscars have been collected in middle tocantins to upper tocantins for years.
the japanese exporter in Goias state have exported for 5 years.

The Sao Paulo Oscar Jeff has sold a few times in past has a very similar patten. I have discussed a few times wit jeff, but his answer was orbic only. Japanese judged it could be crassipinnis or very similar sub species.

here are a few original crassipinis pic from west pantanal region near Bolivia

00142.jpg
00620.jpg

here are some juve pics of Rio Tocantins just same with jeoy's pet
00441.jpg
002%20(2)3.jpg
TocantinsOskar020-1.gif
TocantinsOskar022-1.gif
when they are smaller size, those lines are consecutive spots.

regarding rubroocellatus, it seems that Jardine described in 1843 as cychla rubro-ocellata from rio negro fish. That old illustration is almost the one from rio Branco (Branch in the Rio Negro)
German book is reffering this species.

please don't think this post is any offensive reply..

Seiichi

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store