Its been a long time, Oscar, Astronotus rubrocellatus from Rio Negro

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJ

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Ohio
What's the other fish in the picture David? And do you know if they keep that pattern in adult hood? (the oscar's that is)

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
BigJ;3058373; said:
What's the other fish in the picture David? And do you know if they keep that pattern in adult hood? (the oscar's that is)
It is a murray cod.

As for its adult colors, I don't know what they look like, there have only been a few imported in the past so there is not much info on them.:)

BigJ

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Ohio
ashdavid;3058403; said:
It is a murray cod.

As for its adult colors, I don't know what they look like, there have only been a few imported in the past so there is not much info on them.:)
Very cool, :drool: Best of luck growing them out. And please keep us posted when they get 8-10''. Best looking ones i've ever seen.

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
I have seen many ''zebra oscars'' that have very similar color patterns like that. The zebra oscars just turn out to be just a normal tiger oscar. I am almost %100 positive that he will look like a normal wild oscar soon.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
BigJ;3058425; said:
Very cool, :drool: Best of luck growing them out. And please keep us posted when they get 8-10''. Best looking ones i've ever seen.
Thanks.
Dudzy;3058434; said:
The O's colours are awesome.
And make sure you take good care of the Murray, they are great fish!!
No worries.
rED O;3058626; said:
I have seen many ''zebra oscars'' that have very similar color patterns like that. The zebra oscars just turn out to be just a normal tiger oscar. I am almost %100 positive that he will look like a normal wild oscar soon.
This is no Zebra Oscar, so how can you be 100% certain they will turn out like a "normal" wild oscar? Are you just guessing? I have been told by importers that they show traits that no other oscar posses.

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
It's so cool!!!

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
ashdavid;3058642; said:
Thanks.
No worries.

This is no Zebra Oscar, so how can you be 100% certain they will turn out like a "normal" wild oscar? Are you just guessing? I have been told by importers that they show traits that no other oscar posses.
I did not say i was 100% and no I am not guessing. zebra oscar is a trade name for a juvinile tiger oscar. he looks like a young wild oscar and will mot likely just turn out like a normal wild oscar. I posted this on anther fish forum and I will quote another experienced oscar keeper

''It's definitely got cool markings, but without a collector's pedigree behind it I doubt it's anything special. The dude claims it's a new [unrecognized] species (Astronotus rubrocellatus) that pretty much only has hits on google that are from threads he created.''

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store