Making my 800 gal larger.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
VLDesign;2731195; said:
How was the actual coverage vs advertised coverage?

I was thinking of getting enough to do 3 coats.. Like you I never want it to leak..
Seems that the second coat went on nice and thin so I'm sure that the coverage was better than advertised...

I bet if you calculated 3 coats of advertised coverage you would have some left over... maybe another small tanks worth :naughty: :thumbsup:

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
If you look in the videos he did screw it all... (c'mon guys, get your minds out of the gutter!)

I think he did bondo over all the holes

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
Ok, first things first... The plywood was nailed on with galvanized ringshank nails, then the hardie panel was glued to the plywood... No bondo except for where i dropped one of the pieces... As for more than one coat... It's not needed, not with this stuff... The quart and a half batches advertised 60 square feet of coverage but I probably got about 35-40... Completely my fault, Butch did tell me that the colder the produt is the harder it will be to spread and to thin it with denatured alcohol... Which I did not do... and the room the tank is in or shoud I say the tank that the room is in was only about 65*.... That's why I was having issues with spreadability... According to Butch at pond armor one coat is all you'll ever need, but I put on the equivilent of two in basicly one shot! LOL Oh well.. better to have too much than not enough I guess! The reason you go back over it to inspect is because things happen that are out of your control... bubble and such and you can't get back on it instantly to correct them... So in less than 24 hours you an go back and touch up without any prep... Over 24 hrs and you've got to sand it... Ideally it's between 18-24 hours for the touch ups... All I really did was have to touch up a few obvious spots then I went over thin spots to even the color... Even the thing spots were fine... You'd have to see this stuff in person to see what I mean and you'd agree this stuff is the cats behind! As for the thickness of the sheeting I used 3/4" on the floors and 5/8" on the walls. Both the floor and walls are 12" oc or smaller... The tall walls are about 8" on center... I did get the bulkheads installed this evening but then had some other things to do so that's all I got done today... hopefully if the day isn't too long tomorrow I'll get some plumbing done for the filter! That's going to be a fun video... You guys will get to see what it's like to belly crawl under the tank! LOL

Tropicalfishking, thanks :) We like the blue too, it looks way better in person! I think that answered everything... let me know if I missed something :)

5am

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2006
lalaland
i just saw ur videos. awesome build man.:thumbsup: the 800 looks small in the video. cant wait to more updates.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
TheFishGuy;2731938; said:
Ok, first things first... The plywood was nailed on with galvanized ringshank nails, then the hardie panel was glued to the plywood... No bondo except for where i dropped one of the pieces... As for more than one coat... It's not needed, not with this stuff... The quart and a half batches advertised 60 square feet of coverage but I probably got about 35-40... Completely my fault, Butch did tell me that the colder the produt is the harder it will be to spread and to thin it with denatured alcohol... Which I did not do... and the room the tank is in or shoud I say the tank that the room is in was only about 65*.... That's why I was having issues with spreadability... According to Butch at pond armor one coat is all you'll ever need, but I put on the equivilent of two in basicly one shot! LOL Oh well.. better to have too much than not enough I guess! The reason you go back over it to inspect is because things happen that are out of your control... bubble and such and you can't get back on it instantly to correct them... So in less than 24 hours you an go back and touch up without any prep... Over 24 hrs and you've got to sand it... Ideally it's between 18-24 hours for the touch ups... All I really did was have to touch up a few obvious spots then I went over thin spots to even the color... Even the thing spots were fine... You'd have to see this stuff in person to see what I mean and you'd agree this stuff is the cats behind! As for the thickness of the sheeting I used 3/4" on the floors and 5/8" on the walls. Both the floor and walls are 12" oc or smaller... The tall walls are about 8" on center... I did get the bulkheads installed this evening but then had some other things to do so that's all I got done today... hopefully if the day isn't too long tomorrow I'll get some plumbing done for the filter! That's going to be a fun video... You guys will get to see what it's like to belly crawl under the tank! LOL

Tropicalfishking, thanks :) We like the blue too, it looks way better in person! I think that answered everything... let me know if I missed something :)
Ring shanks are gnarley I use them when I put on copper flashing and you cant get them out without breaking the head off the nail lol(although its easier to break the head off copper nails but you all get the idea). Better than screws in certain applications. Good choice !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store