TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
arapaimag;3028768; said:
Jonathan did you see this video?

HR669 video to oppose watch it please http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientis...s_in_peril.php
The link did not work for me good sir...

I am aware of hr669 though....

Thank you to everyone that has donated. MFR is still here! Tomorrow is the town meeting where I get to defend myself in front of the town fathers who enjoy picking on me and my property... Funny thing is this place was ina shambles when we bought it and we've done nothing but clean it up... Yet I get sited for having a pile of scrape cedar..... And flogged for puting up a fence... Dumb......

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
I’m writing this evening to update everyone on the status of Monster Fish Rescue. It seems as if due to a technicality I have no choice but to apply for a conditional use permit in order to keep “running my business in a residential area” The technicality is that Monster Fish Rescue LLC is registered with the state of Ohio, and since MFR is registered as a business and businesses cannot be run in a residential area without a conditional use permit I need to apply for it.
This all stems from trying to do the right thing by getting permission to put up the Monster Fish Rescue.com sign in the front yard. It seems as if you should try to get away with things as long as you can before you get caught, which is the exact opposite thing I’m trying to teach my children.
Apparently:
“It’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.”
This is a small town and it seems I’ve angered the mayor so now they’re nit picking and are going to continue to nit pick everything I do. That is the fear I have in applying for the conditional use permit. I’ve been advised to apply for the permit to see what they’re going to want me to do to get it. If their requirements are ridiculous I will have no choice but to shut MFR down. We cannot afford to make the kind of improvements to the property they might require in order to grant the permit.
If it comes down to that I will continue to rescue and re-habilitate fish. I feel it is a service that someone needs to do and that I am willing to do even though it is a continuous financial strain.
On the flip side, I was granted permission to put up the sign.
I have worked very hard and jumped through flaming hoops to get MFR where it is today to just give up. I will do my best to keep you all posted as to the progress of MFR.
Thank you again to those that have supported MFR in the past and to all those that have donated.
Jonathan

LowCel

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
I really hate to read this, I hope everything goes as smooth as possible for you. There is bound to be a member on one of the forums that you frequent that knows local laws and procedures that would be willing to help you out in return for a tour of your fish room.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
just a thought but the issue they are having is that you arerunning the business out of your home. if they are going to be that nit picky talk to a lfs or a friend who owns a business and ask if you can move your "office" to his business your tanks are 99.99 percent personal anyways right so what can they do. your "business" is providing a website to match a fish with a suitable lifetime home not to house all the unwanted fish in the USA. then if your "office is in a business part of town they can only force you to get a business licence not shut you down. people bring there work vehicles home all the time so you happen to occasionally bring a rescued fish home. I don't see the difference. just my 2 cents worth. I hope it works out

spartman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Dakota
Thats a really good idea there.

I know quite a few businesses up in my part of the country that do that.

Might make that mayor of yours even more steamed though.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
I know thats what I did cause the town got pissed me running my business out of my home I posted an add in the paper for others in a simular situation about 10 of us got together and rented a office. we never used it for years other than for the title. then one day we all went together and hired a secratary and had our calls directed through the office. that was just a later thought to be a little more secure. not necassary. don'y teach your kids to cheat teach them to look for the way to get what you want within the law. its way more fun sticking it to the man when you pollowed his rules and theres nothing he can do about it lol

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
greengiant;3045814; said:
I know thats what I did cause the town got pissed me running my business out of my home I posted an add in the paper for others in a simular situation about 10 of us got together and rented a office. we never used it for years other than for the title. then one day we all went together and hired a secratary and had our calls directed through the office. that was just a later thought to be a little more secure. not necassary. don'y teach your kids to cheat teach them to look for the way to get what you want within the law. its way more fun sticking it to the man when you pollowed his rules and theres nothing he can do about it lol
WoW I'm surprised you had any issues with a business in your home... I guess they take that serious out there... I know I've had several running out of my home (in Ontario and Quebec)... till this day I do, Mind you, you can get away with just about anything if you happen to mention that your main business is "consulting" which technically doesn't need an office space for... I was doing an import/export business once (failed horribly) That I had to rent space for...so I just rented a U-haul Office... it was super cheap and perfectly legal :thumbsup: not to mention I needed to store some of the crap around my house, so that was a Bonus!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store