Making my 800 gal larger.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
cvermeulen, it's not plastic, it's what you'd see in a commercial restroom on the walls, it's only 3/16" thick and was $12 a sheet :D I had the screws :)

The sunken down area, or the deep end as I've been calling it, will have two bulkheads 2" from the floor. I don't plan on putting any subtrate in the deep end, and it will have some kind of "jets" put down there to keep from having "dead spots" It's funny you mention a port hole because I've got a 1/2" piece of glass that's like 24"X10" I was thinking of putting in for fun:naughty:

To answer your floor drain question... Yes, sort of. By the time it's drained ther'll be about 2" left in the deep end...

As for the cost of heating the tank... it was not fun the last two winters, but I've got a much better plan this time around. I used to have to use two 4' sections of electric baseboard heat each pumping 2000 watts... Yikes! I definately think that moisture proofing the room and using this new heating method with definately save a considerable amount of ching:headbang2

Now as for you question about losing gravel over the edge... I've got a plan for that. I'm going to be siliconing rocks on the edge for two reasons, one to protect the edge from my dumb *** every time I step into the thing, and the other is to do exactly what said 2x4 would have done, prevent the loss of substrate to the deep end. One rock will not be siliconed into place to create a way to get water down to the deep end in case of failure. But failure is not an option:eek:

I've also got this to say....

The sheeting is done! Next is cutting holes in it where the bulkheads are going to be. The reason I’m doing that is because last time there was barely enough thread on the shower drains to make a good seal. I’m going to make the holes slightly larger than the nut for the bulkhead, this way I’m only dealing with the thickness of the hardie panel and pond armor. And yes, I plan to silicone in the bulkheads this time. Last time I did not. I might go get the hardie panel tomorrow and the two sheets of plywood to make the sump tank. The sump tank will be made out of ¾” plywood lined with hardie panel, then lined with pond armor. Enjoy the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4Tk5qr5Uc

As always, if there’s any questions or comments feel free to ask J

Esten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2008
New York
Nice. post some picture up once u start it.

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
Yey pics!!
Sounds really good you have a very impressive collection of cichlids and other fish the tank should look stunning when its done. GL with the build i hope it works out for you.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
Its going to be awesome. How are you going to light the new section?

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
You know the more I look at it as it's starting to some together and the more I think to myself... Think of all that wasted space in the front section below the tank...that could all be water :ROFL:

I'm loving this though... I'm just crazy and would have said screw it and opened it right up to full depth and exteneded the new section the full length...No sense in "upgrading" again later :headbang2

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Maybe you covered this earlier in the thread but... I'm wondering why you are using the hardie panel with pond armor on top? Pond armor alone will seal plywood. I thought most of the time that people used hardie panel it was when they were going to follow up with drylok. Am I mistaken?

My personal preference is to use polyester resin with fiberglass in areas you want to reinforce, then top off with gelcoat for UV protection and a nice looking finish. This way is also cheaper than pond armor.

There's a million ways to skin this cat though, I'm just trying to understand your thought process better.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
Esten;2649632; said:
Nice. post some picture up once u start it.
Most, if not all updates are videos :)

FSM said:
How are you going to light the new section?
There's 4' shop lights hanging from the ceiling :)

basslover34 said:
You know the more I look at it as it's starting to some together and the more I think to myself... Think of all that wasted space in the front section below the tank...that could all be water
DUDE! :chillpill: I'm not tearing this thing apart now! But secretly I really want to, great idea, just a few weeks too late!:eek:

cvermeulen, my thought process was handed to me by Butch from Pond Armor. I'm doing things exactly how he wants me to do them... But your thinking was correct. Apparently while pond armor would indeed stick to plywood it'll stick to hardie even better...

So I promised everyone an update by Thursday, the only thing I really got done was four out of seven sheets of hardie panel installed. Tomorrow hopefully the rest of it will get done… We’ve got a party Saturday, I’ve got work Sunday and three days next week so not much is going to get done again for a while… I hate work… It gets in the way of the things I really want to do! LOL

Here’s some pictures:

The hardie has been glued to the floor with liquid nails:

This is showing one of the preliminary holes that’s cut for one of the bulkheads:

This is a picture of two dogs and a cat:

Thalan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
jacksonville
I'm loving the video updates (even though half the time youtube is blocked on my work comp) it gives a good view of all the angles and what not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store