Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

JDev

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2011
Earth
Hi SantaMonica,

Thaks a lot for the detailed explanation. Since the sole motive of the effort it to get rid of nitrates and phosphates and not to grow algae, can't we get your device without feeding too much extra amount, i.e. a little more than needed by fishes?

Thanks.

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
You could try it since it's waterproof and cheap. A 10 X 10cm screen would be good, with a light on both sides.

Generally, you want red LED's (660nm seems to grow green algae the best), and more smaller ones instead of one big one (to reduce hot spots), but you probably won't find these things in a ready-to-use waterproof ebay light.

JDev

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2011
Earth
SM,

I am thinking to build algae scrapper under the canopy with 4 4W (aquarium grade) fluorescent tubes, the lower 2 will also illuminate the tank. It may require a smaller pump due to lower distance.

Since I have a 4' tank and I have 6" vertical space b/w the water surface and canopy top, I can use a screen size of 5"x40", horizontally expanded.

Please put your suggestions for my design and also tel me if the lightening would be sufficient, thanks.

AS In Canopy.jpg

Good_Times

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
South-Africa
Why does the screen need to be cleaned. Doesn't that just mean your removing the algae and cause the tank to get an nitrate spike?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store