Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Wish we could couple together peoples experience using these in freshwater. I know zenzzo had success with his, but I would like to see a few examples before I build a nice scrubber :)

Bizarroterl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
SJ, CA
It appears it's pretty much a saltwater thing. Not to say it wouldn't work for freshwater, but not many freshwater installs.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Right on.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Please keep us posted. I too would like to see more fw set ups and reports.

Toddo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
SE Pa
I have been running a scrubber on my 125 fresh tank for about a month now.

While it is growing algae at a pretty good pace, (scraped it twice already) I cannot attribute any nitrate reduction to it just yet. This was a new setup and my well water is very high in nitrates, and I needed to immediately reduce them with ion exchange resins.

I'll be removing the resins in about a week to see how the scrubber fairs.

About 1 week of growth after cleaning in this pic.

DSC03838A.jpg

kmill

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2009
this side of Heaven
This is a great project. I want to try it on my 90 gal in a bucket in my stand. Only problem is space, I have a eheim canister filter and dont think I can use it. So Im thinking I will have to have 2 pumps 1 in tank & 1 in bucket. What do u think do you have a better idea SantaMonica? thanks

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
I will chime in again in response to the FW questions. I ran a ghetto scrubber on my monster tank for several months, and I was removing nearly a pound of wet algae every few days. I actually removed the scrubber because the way I designed it, it would clog everything else with algae if I didn't clean it frequently. The long and short of it is that it works, but design it carefully for your application, and make sure that cleaning your scrubber once a week is easier than just doing a waterchange, otherwise it's all for naught.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store