Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Excerpts from "Our Own Personal Experiments in the effects of Trace Element Toxicity" by Ron Shimek
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-08/rs/feature/index.php

"Trace elements in heightened concentrations are considered to be poisons, nothing more, nothing less, by every researcher examining them."

"With regard to arsenic (when found), copper, nickel, tin, and zinc, the average tank water must be considered as being polluted with heavy metals."

"The water from the average reef tank is clearly dangerous to the organisms put into it [because of too many trace elements]."

"What causes these excessively high trace metal concentrations? Initially, the problem occurs with artificial seawater mixes that have abnormally high concentrations of these materials [...] Also, there is inadequate export of the materials due to any number of causes, but including such factors as poor skimming, inadequate water changes, and inadequate biomass export. Finally, in some cases well-meaning, but ill-advised aquarists often add supplements containing unknown quantities of some trace elements."

"There are NO data that any trace element additions are beneficial, and for any trace element for which there are data, excess amounts are detrimental. No adequate test kits exist for the vast majority of these materials, and few supplements list their ingredients in a trustworthy manner. Consequently, it is prudent not to add any at all to a system."

[Scrubbers remove metals]

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
cvermeulen;3587736; said:
I will chime in again in response to the FW questions. I ran a ghetto scrubber on my monster tank for several months, and I was removing nearly a pound of wet algae every few days. I actually removed the scrubber because the way I designed it, it would clog everything else with algae if I didn't clean it frequently. The long and short of it is that it works, but design it carefully for your application, and make sure that cleaning your scrubber once a week is easier than just doing a waterchange, otherwise it's all for naught.
So it removed a ton of phosphates. Did your nitrates get reduced drastically ?

Toddo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
SE Pa
This is my 125 fresh water tank with medium bio load. I have an XP3 with Biomax/mech pads and this scrubber as the only filtration now.

Its been 12 days with just the scrubber for nitrate control. Nitrates and ammonia are still at zero. No water changes. This is significant as my well water is 35-40ppm Nitrates.

These pics are from the 4th screen cleaning. It grows enough algae to need weekly cleaning now.

DSC04125A.jpg

DSC04128A.jpg

DSC04133A.jpg

Ali1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Okay,they seem promising but few details seem to be missing that I'm concerned with. I have a 10gallon tank lying around. Let me see if I understand this correctly...

Couple questions for the professionals:

If i already have a sump, coudn't I just attach the screen in-line to the overflow pipe and position the screen inside the sump, letting water drain from the overflow into the waterfall pipe, which will pour down the screen into the 10gallon? then there's a pump in the 10 gallon that will return the water back to the display tank?

Is this all correct?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
cvermeulen;3587736; said:
I will chime in again in response to the FW questions. I ran a ghetto scrubber on my monster tank for several months, and I was removing nearly a pound of wet algae every few days. I actually removed the scrubber because the way I designed it, it would clog everything else with algae if I didn't clean it frequently. The long and short of it is that it works, but design it carefully for your application, and make sure that cleaning your scrubber once a week is easier than just doing a waterchange, otherwise it's all for naught.
I'd think there's also the factor of your water cost, chemicals cost (Prime, etc.), stability, whatever else it is removing, fish health, and overall water quality rather than just easy-mode. Wouldn't it?

I can't wait to get my big tank done and start working on the scrubber(s) for it.

Ali1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Ali1;3625988; said:
Okay,they seem promising but few details seem to be missing that I'm concerned with. I have a 10gallon tank lying around. Let me see if I understand this correctly...

Couple questions for the professionals:

If i already have a sump, coudn't I just attach the screen in-line to the overflow pipe and position the screen inside the sump, letting water drain from the overflow into the waterfall pipe, which will pour down the screen into the 10gallon? then there's a pump in the 10 gallon that will return the water back to the display tank?

Is this all correct?
anyone ?

linusfishing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
Singapore
SantaMonica;3329521; said:
Here are several updates:

Milburnr on the SC site had this great pic of his flow:

Quick review of why scrubbers work:

1. The light is very near the screen, and is not blocked by anything.
2. The flow is very rapid, which transports more nutrients to and from the algae.
3. The flow (on a vertical waterfall) is very thin, which breaks up boundary layer,
and which lets the most light through.
4. 7-day cleanings keeps the bottom layers of algae from being shaded and dying.
5. Using FW to clean, kills the pods that normally destroy the algae.

Seeding a new screen is no longer recommended, because (1) you get good growth in a week anyway, and (2) the seeding just washes off and adds nutrients to the water.

Barbianj on the RS site made a great high-power CFL setup:

Long vacations: Some people want to use a scrubber, but are gone two or three weeks at a time. Here are the options: The easiest is to do nothing. In this case, after three weeks, the underlying layers of algae will have died. When you return, the water may be cloudy and colored, and the nitrate and phosphate may be increased, but after a screen cleaning and some carbon, it will be back to normal in a few days. This option is ok if you leave only once or twice a year. Nothing should be harmed, however. The next option is to remove the screen. For very long trips, and for cases where you have lots of LR and DSB, this might be best. Of course your tank may develop nuisance algae during the trip because of lack of filtering, and you'll have to start the screen from scratch when you return.

RonRon on the RP site built one with just a tupperware box:

Here's another option to attach your screen: Curtain rings...
Hello,

Referring to the "World's Simplest Scrubber" by Ronron on the RP Site, may i know how is the "sheet" placed inside? And can the "sheet" be semi-submerged in water or it has to be a wet/dry situation?

Am trying to do something similar which is simpler, need advice please. Thank you. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store