Photo Journal of a used 240.

cdienzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Great project you got going. Thanks for taking the time to document your progress. I've built 2 stands using the same structural design as you. Let me tell, when I read how you made the cuts in the 4x4s all at once, I was like "doh!" :duh: I did them all one at a time.... oh well, measure twice, cut once, right?

If you're worried about being able to slide out the sump, you could frame up a side door on the stand & slide it out that way. With proper framing and reinforcement on that side, you shouldn't lose structural support.

As for repairing the chips in the glass, have you looked in to using one of those windshield repair kits that they sell at auto parts stores? I haven't tried in an aquarium, but the (small) repair on my windshield is nearly invisible. I believe it's an epoxy, but I haven't looked into it's "aquarium safeness".

GL with your project & keep us updated! :thumbsup:

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
cdienzo;2254993; said:
Great project you got going. Thanks for taking the time to document your progress. I've built 2 stands using the same structural design as you. Let me tell, when I read how you made the cuts in the 4x4s all at once, I was like "doh!" :duh: I did them all one at a time.... oh well, measure twice, cut once, right?

If you're worried about being able to slide out the sump, you could frame up a side door on the stand & slide it out that way. With proper framing and reinforcement on that side, you shouldn't lose structural support.

As for repairing the chips in the glass, have you looked in to using one of those windshield repair kits that they sell at auto parts stores? I haven't tried in an aquarium, but the (small) repair on my windshield is nearly invisible. I believe it's an epoxy, but I haven't looked into it's "aquarium safeness".

GL with your project & keep us updated! :thumbsup:
Not really going to repaid those issues with the Glass. I'm just going to try and keep them from getting worse.

There will not be enough room to either side of my stand to pull out a 55G tank. It can be removed from the front easily. So this is not an issue.
I did the first 4 ends one at a time because I had a dull blade. I did the other ends all at once though :). At least my description was good enough someone understood it.

Thanks for all the input everyone!!

I picked up some 1" x 4-6" x 4'-5' PVC scrap. Solid PVC material. This will come in handy for the sump. I'll throw some pictures up of it later.

rickyricardo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
new england
Verbosity;2253925; said:
This question makes me really wish I took a lot more pictures.
I actually cut all 4 pieces at once. This was a time saver.

My first step was to to make all 4 pieces one with some large clamps.

I then laid them down on my workbench and fastened them with more clamps to make sure they wouldn't move.

I picked up a 2x4 and used it to make the approximate measurement. While the 2x4 was handy I used it to set the depth on my skill saw.

Now that I have a line and the correct depth I moved my 2x4 to become my straight edge to guide the saw. For my saw it's 3/4's extra distance from where you want to cut.

I use clamps to lock the 2x4 in place and double check all my measurements.

I then cut the 4x4's all the way across.

That's one cut.

Now I unclamp everything. I make sure to turn all the 4x4's 90 degrees in the same direction.

I use the same set up for the first cut that I do for this. I make the second cut. I now have two sides cut. I need to cut the top now.

Leaving the 4x4's clamped together I pick them up and stand them up next to my work bench. They are way to short, so I had to put a box under them to raise the tops of the boards above the workbench standing straight up.

I clamp the 4x4's to the work bench side. I draw my line. I set the skill saw depth to it's maximum. (Which isn't enough.) And free hand this cut across all of the 4x4's.

I unclamp everything, rotate 90 degrees, and reclamp. I draw my line and make the second cut across the top (4 cuts total).

I now essentially have all my cuts required. However the vertical cuts are not deep enough. So I unclamp all the 4x4's and work them on an individually. I use a hand saw and a chisel to finish the cut. I could have used a reciprocating saw, however I wanted a clean straight cut. If you have a decent hand saw these cuts will not take much extra time.

Sorry I don't have pictures. They would help tremendously in this discussion.

If you have a table saw these become even easier. I don't have a table saw that fits in my garage. YET. I have a very nice table saw that takes up to much room to put in my garage. It's currently stored in a barn at my aunts property. (2 hours away.)

Hope this helps, it's really hard to describe how I did it without pictures for your reference.

Thank you, your description was very good. I really like the idea of using 4x4's as the corner posts like you did.

thanks............rick

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
andres;2262225; said:
Looking good, are you planning to put some sort of paneling or plywood on the stand?
The bottom will have plywood, to create a shelf for the 55G sump.

Other then that this stand is finished for the time being.

In the long run I will by some nice paneling and make her presentable.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
nice project...i'm enjoying the progress reports

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
While I wait on the sump leak test. And on more money so I can get some plywood for the stand. I decided to work on my fish closet a little.
The closet is really conveinant. It's probably about 6'x6' and is right off of my office where all but one of my fish tanks are. I moved from the country where my water came from a well to the city where my water is crap. So I bought a 150G rubbermaid tub and use it to treat my water before water changes. I use a sump pump (for pumping out basements) to move the water from this to which ever fish tank.
Up until now this has been using two of my saw horses to keep it off the ground. (It was on the ground until I discovered a leak. Never put it back.)

I wanted the contained to have room under it for a 5Gallon bucket to be below the drain, and for random storage. So I just used some lumber I had left over from the workbench and stand project. I also used a giant door I got at work right before it went into the dumpster.

What I have:

I made a simple 48"x28" 2x4 frame.
I cut out a piece of the door to fit ontop of that frame.

I cut the lumber for the legs and just set them in place.

I decided this set up would be stable enough for me. And started screwing the legs together.

I then used one screw per side on each leg to hold them in place. The screws are not weight baring. So I can get away with drywall screws.

Tada, a short table.

I actually neglected measuring the height of the 5 gallon bucket and used scraps for the four legs.
I got lucky.

I'll probably paint this black if I can get my hands on some paint before my next water change.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
You are really doing an excellent job! I am loving the updates. Makes me wanna make something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store