Louisiana

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I like what you have done so far. Looks good.
One suggestion though. I would put a piece of plywood underneath the acrylic sump. Acrylic has a tendency to bow, which over such spans might cause issues. just a thought.

silverdragon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
DOWN UNDER!
www.myspace.com
Verbosity;2262015; said:

I got my shipment in. A bunch of cheap HOB filters, and my two pumps for this project.
Great read so far man, love the project and the pics.. i see the xbox live controller in the background lol nice way to kick back on breaks :D

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
Pharaoh;2266163; said:
I like what you have done so far. Looks good.
One suggestion though. I would put a piece of plywood underneath the acrylic sump. Acrylic has a tendency to bow, which over such spans might cause issues. just a thought.
I have every intention of putting some plywood there.
I just don't have any in the garage at the moment. I have to pick some up.
Thanks for the input.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
silverdragon;2266268; said:
Great read so far man, love the project and the pics.. i see the xbox live controller in the background lol nice way to kick back on breaks :D
I generally only play Halo 3 on live, and Burnout Paradise City locally.
I don't play it that much really. Maybe once or twice a month. PM your screen name and I'll add you as a friend.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
So why two smaller pumps...in case one goes out? I was going to use a reflo baracuda on my 240 long setup. I am looking to end up with a bout 2000gph flowing through the tank...

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
NOLAGT;2266400; said:
So why two smaller pumps...in case one goes out? I was going to use a reflo baracuda on my 240 long setup. I am looking to end up with a bout 2000gph flowing through the tank...
Verbosity said:
I bought two smaller pumps instead of the big one for three reasons.
Together they equal the big pump at the same head.
They use less power together then the one pump by itself.
And if one dies, I still have one going.
I was looking at one pump. The largest of the brand I bought. However, it used more power and did not provide a fail safe. Using two smaller pumps I use less power, Have the same flow rate (> 2000gph at 4' head), they were cheaper, and if one fails the second is still going (this gives me time to get a new one ordered, repair, or whatever).

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
The fail safe idea is a good one...I have other pumps laying around that I could hook up for the time to get a new one so I will probably just stick with one pump. But as for the price and power consumption...the baracuda im getting for 298 shipped and the max amps is 2 but will be less for the 2000gph flow. I think the 2 you got will have a max of 2.6 amps total.....

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
I'm looking at watts.
I was able to get this brand cheaper. So I'm sticking with it.
I might also get to the point where I feel this is to much flow. I can easily half the flow with the flick of a switch.

I've thrown together what I plan to do with my sump. The big grey looking thing is a filter sock.

This general idea will be used in a 55G tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store