Photo Journal of a used 240.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I am not trying to knock you pumps just letting you know the route I was taking for some info...but im not sure if what im reading online is accurate for the barracuda now I have seen different #'s and it dont seem to work out math wise with (amps * volts = watts). For the barracuda I will have a gate valve inline to adjust the flow to what I need.

So your flip a switch idea has me think of something...how will the 2 pumps be plumeb...will you have one going to its own return or will you have them T together to one return. I ask becasue if you have one per return and you turn one off it might alater your flow in the tank and make dead spots and make you redo you return...and if they are T'ed then you might get water flowing back through the off pump (I guess). Just thinking outloud and trying to trouble shoot...thats what I try to do on mine when im thinking of how to run the pipe.

Man I really like your sump....hmmm lol

What kind of fish are you going to do?

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
Never thought you were knocking my pumps :)

It will probably end up mbuna. But I am toying with the idea of throw some brim or something easily caught in the river in there to get it all going.

My design for the sump is almost exactly like yours. You should like it. :)

The two pumps will probably be sent to two jets. I'm not really sure on this one yet.
I'm not to worried about dead spots.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Verbosity;2266995; said:
Never thought you were knocking my pumps :)
Good...then in that case...your pumps suck...uhhh no they blow lol.......water that is.

How many drains are you going to have and are they going to be 1" or 1.5" and what are you using to hold the filter sock? I ask because my drains from the tank are 1.5" (there is 2) and all the things I have seen to hold the filter socks use 1" slip fittings from the tank. I could go down to two 1" drains because I only need like 1.8" worth to handle 2000gph but I already have 1.5" durso type (not exactly dursos) drain pipes and I dont know if they will work properly if I reduce the drain to 1" at the sump....

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
NOLAGT;2267019; said:
How many drains are you going to have and are they going to be 1" or 1.5" and what are you using to hold the filter sock?
I was planning on building a 2" PVC overflow.
I'm not sure if that can handle the flow. I'm to lazy to do the math. If not, I'll have something very interesting to hang in my garage.

I am not buying a filter sock holder. I will use the plastic/metal ring you put around the filter socks and just cut a hole in some plexi glass for it sit in.

My LFS has 7.5" by 14" socks. I have yet to stop by and find out exactly what those measures mean. But I have a feeling I'll be buying online. I'll search the forum later to find out what the best buy is. (I'm sure someone has already asked.)

I want to get a few of the socks that are washable over and over. I only want one sock in the sump at once.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Look at this website and down on the left side is a list of calculators that you might find useful. http://www.reefcentral.com/

7.5" is going to be the diamater of the sock and 14 is how long it is....

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
I give you alot of credit for this thread. The posts with pictures and details is very good. good job. Keep us posted

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
Alright, looks like this project is going to be put on hold for a month or two.
This last weekend was a busy one for me. I had a good bit of family over from out of town.
It was raining hard as hell all Saturday and Sunday (with some dry spurts in between). It was also very windy.

I lost my credit card (Wife's fault, but I lover her, so whatever.).
I lost power at 10:30 AM Sunday Morning. When I left home at 8:15am this morning still didn't have power.
Had to buy battery operated air pumps to keep my fish alive. This is hard without a credit card.
My Fishroom/office roof started leaking.

I'm a very DIY kind of guy. And I knew the roof over this room would eventually start leaking. I did not expect to start this soon. It's a cheap felt roof. I'm obviously not going to put felt down. I will pull the felt roof up and lay a Rubber system down. (The roof is flat so shingles are not an option, tin is against the covenants.)

So I can't find anyone locally that sales EPDM rubber roof supplies. I found a guy online that sales what I need. Here's my quote:

YOUR ESTIMATE :
1) 45 MIL BLACK EPDM 15FT X 25FT $180.00
1) 5 GALLON LATEX BONDING ADHESIVE $150.00
MATERIALS..............................$330.00
SHIPPING TO SAVANNAH , GA 31419 ZIP ..$ 88.22
TOTAL AMOUNT ..........................$418.22

So it looks like I'm about to be out $420. Unless someone out there knows where I can get a better deal.

That is my allowance for over two months. So this tank will not have any funds until after Christmas. Be sure to subscribe to this thread. I will come back and update it.

BTW, anybody live around Savannah, that wants to help me lay this rubber down? It's fairly easy. My wife won't join me on the roof.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store