Please post all your wolffish here...any type also can!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Mudfrog;3546091; said:
I'm starting to look for some new tanks for him and the red wolf. I REALLY want to be able to add a tank mate to the mala. Anyone know if an irwini is tough enough to take a beating if the wolf decided to? I know they are referred to as Armoured catfish but are they really tough enough?

I really don't want to devote 180g to a single mala, maybe 125g if he will not accept tank mates.
i wouldnt do it KNOWING the wolf might beat on the irwini.
theyre tough,but not indestructible.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
channarox;3546793; said:
i wouldnt do it KNOWING the wolf might beat on the irwini.
theyre tough,but not indestructible.
Yes but the irwini will get much larger than the wolf, that combined with them being tough, I would think would discourage the wolf from any long term issues.

I need to buy a bunch of dithers to throw in there to see if I can get him used to other fish. He never seems to eat live food so we'll see.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Mudfrog;3547216; said:
Yes but the irwini will get much larger than the wolf, that combined with them being tough, I would think would discourage the wolf from any long term issues.

I need to buy a bunch of dithers to throw in there to see if I can get him used to other fish. He never seems to eat live food so we'll see.
try it out then.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
channarox;3547218; said:
try it out then.
Yea I dunno.. I need to figure out what I'm going to do so I can start acquiring the setup.

I plan on a 180g and a 125g, was going to give the 180g to the mala but if he's going to remain solitary I'll give him the 125g and the Red wolf the 180g, this would allow for a larger range of tank mates in the red wolf tank.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Mudfrog;3547355; said:
Yea I dunno.. I need to figure out what I'm going to do so I can start acquiring the setup.

I plan on a 180g and a 125g, was going to give the 180g to the mala but if he's going to remain solitary I'll give him the 125g and the Red wolf the 180g, this would allow for a larger range of tank mates in the red wolf tank.
the red will work if the fish are bigger then them and there are alot of hiding spots and silver dollar dithers, the mala on the other Hand is 14'' right this will be harder because he wasn't raised with other fish and he will think there food, but you can try silver dollar dithers and that catfish or a real colorful pleco. my lacerdae and my xingu black both hate tankmates but play nice with my green phantom pleco's and my blue phantom ones. my mala tank has other malas thats your best bet other mala's and a fish like red hooks that get big, and maybe some large cichlids that mind their business:D

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
caribemob;3547391; said:
the red will work if the fish are bigger then them and there are alot of hiding spots and silver dollar dithers, the mala on the other Hand is 14'' right this will be harder because he wasn't raised with other fish and he will think there food, but you can try silver dollar dithers and that catfish or a real colorful pleco. my lacerdae and my xingu black both hate tankmates but play nice with my green phantom pleco's and my blue phantom ones. my mala tank has other malas thats your best bet other mala's and a fish like red hooks that get big, and maybe some large cichlids that mind their business:D
i wouldnt add a new mala right now,or cichlids that could provoke the wolf into attacking.
IMO,i'd leave mr. mala in the 125g,and add say...1000 neons.
and im serious.;)

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Well the Red is a big pig, I'm not worried about him competing for food. His tankmates would include bottom feeders which will wait for food at the bottom, the red begs for food at the top.

As for the mala.. I'm leaning towards a 125g and maybe a dither I dunno.. he tends to kill fish for the fun of it, not for food. Neon's huh.. I really hate neon's haha. I'm assuming you said these as they are so small he won't bother with them.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Mudfrog;3547420; said:
Well the Red is a big pig, I'm not worried about him competing for food. His tankmates would include bottom feeders which will wait for food at the bottom, the red begs for food at the top.

As for the mala.. I'm leaning towards a 125g and maybe a dither I dunno.. he tends to kill fish for the fun of it, not for food. Neon's huh.. I really hate neon's haha. I'm assuming you said these as they are so small he won't bother with them.
exactly.
i love neons.:D
try some tetra species that you like.
itll be an amazing sight.:WHOA:

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Well my mala jumped out of the tank last night around 3 am.. Luckily I had a softball injury last night so every time I rolled over on my right leg I woke up. Well I woke up and heard a thumping sound, got up to check it out and he was flopping against the wall. Must have been out for a little while as his slime coat was gone and he was starting to dry up. I quickly put him back in the tank and he seems fine now. His mouth and body is banged up a little though. Gonna do bi-daily water changes to help him heal quickly. He hasn't jumped since he was around 6" or so. The only difference was last night I supplied the tanks with more light as it was pretty dark before and he banged his jaw on the glass swimming around. I guess I'll leave that extra light off, sucks cause it gave a cool moon light glow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store