Sick (fungus?) L-114s

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
So far, so good. Everyone still accounted for.

I stopped the melafix treatment this morning (after 3 days). I did a 25% water change. I put in some small chunks of raw market shrimp last night, and it looks like no one was interested in it (another reason for the water change). The hikari wafers, though, seem to continue to be a hit as I didn't see any of I put in the tank last night (though maybe it dissolved); I've only seen the L52 eat it. Also put the carbon cartridge back in the HOT filter.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to put the 2 "healthy" L-114s is the show tank, along with the L52, and keep the other 2 L-114s in the quarrantine tank for another 2 weeks. Ideally, I would have put all 4 in the tank together so they could establish territories at the same time. I guess when I add the last 2, I'll have to move and add new driftwood/rocks so everyone starts on the same level playing field in establishing new territories.

TheFishJunky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Jersey
I would not chance taking fish that are fresh out of quarantine/hospitalization/treatment etc and putting them in a show tank. BAD MOVE! You could spread it right back to that tank and be back to square one. Leave them alone and let them stay in that tank and watch them for at least another week-even 2 weeks before moving. If there's no signs at that point and they are all acting normal then put them back in the tank.

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
Right now, they would be the only fish in the show tank. But I think I will keep them all for at least another two weeks in the quarrantine tank (and then decide whether to keep the 2 not as healthy looking individuals in the quarrantine or move them all).

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Yeah wait it out another 2 weeks. They all may be fine by then. Jusat keep doing what you are doing your healthy ones should stay that way and the other two can just improve also.

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
Oy! The velvet/bacteria/fungus is back.

All fish alive, but the palest one was in the worst condition with some spots in the head region. I got a good look last night of the fish and discovered the diseases came back. The other "sick" one has some "fuzzy growth" in the tail region. I did a 20% water change last night (I did a 25% water change monday morning), and restarted API General Cure. This morning they looked a little better (though it may be wishful thinking on my part). I tried to take a picture, but it always came out fuzzy. As far as I can tell, the 2 "healthy" L-114s and the L52 are fine. I'm thinking it may be time to start a second quarrantine tank and move the 3 healthy fish to it (in case they are stressing out the 2 "sicker" looking fish). Maybe in a few days after I complete this second API GC treatment.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
Linus_Cello;3852570; said:
Oy! The velvet/bacteria/fungus is back.

All fish alive, but the palest one was in the worst condition with some spots in the head region. I got a good look last night of the fish and discovered the diseases came back. The other "sick" one has some "fuzzy growth" in the tail region. I did a 20% water change last night (I did a 25% water change monday morning), and restarted API General Cure. This morning they looked a little better (though it may be wishful thinking on my part). I tried to take a picture, but it always came out fuzzy. As far as I can tell, the 2 "healthy" L-114s and the L52 are fine. I'm thinking it may be time to start a second quarrantine tank and move the 3 healthy fish to it (in case they are stressing out the 2 "sicker" looking fish). Maybe in a few days after I complete this second API GC treatment.
ya.. velevet will come back.. probably for awhile.. would continue to treat for 1 month... its a very nasty disease.. and u have to make sure their life cycle is fully cured..

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Set up a 10 gallon barebottom some driftwood and sponge filter from an established tank. Wish you lived near me I would hook you up. Put the 3 healthy ones in there. Don't start a new setup make sure it is established.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
Allan01230;3854028; said:
Set up a 10 gallon barebottom some driftwood and sponge filter from an established tank. Wish you lived near me I would hook you up. Put the 3 healthy ones in there. Don't start a new setup make sure it is established.

Hey Allan... what have u been feeding ur L114s? I got two last week.. they are donig ok... although one is starting to not eat... he's ok.. not dying.. just hungry.. I tried feeding it shrimp.. and sinking pellet..

What are u feeding yours?

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
zerojquan85;3854049; said:
Hey Allan... what have u been feeding ur L114s? I got two last week.. they are donig ok... although one is starting to not eat... he's ok.. not dying.. just hungry.. I tried feeding it shrimp.. and sinking pellet..

What are u feeding yours?
NLS 3 mm pellets with the garlic my 9 incher will devour 20 pellets at one sitting. Also Wardely's flake. I know this sounds cheap buit the this staple is pretty good and no artificial colors in it. My three 9 inch 5 inch and 3 inch all would not eat for the first week. I turned my take water to 80. Fed the pellets and flake and wc every 3 days for the first two weeks. All three are healthy and eat like pigs. Don't see any reason to feed them anything else. Although it wouldn't hurt I guess but the Wardleys and NLS is what My LFS feeds his L-114's which he has had for a couple of years now since the ban started. His are in perfect shape.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
ah icic.. nice.. ya.. I think my L114s have been eating.. I can see them doing better now and the zucchini i throw it is all gone..

But ya.. i've been also having a tough time getting rid of the velvet.. i'm using copper safe now to make sure the velvet doesnt come back.. along with metro..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store