Sick (fungus?) L-114s

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Yes my Lfs "fANTASTIC fINS" had both goldies at one time. One was called sunshine pleco and the one with the orange/red on the fins was called super sunshine. I should have picked one up because they both went fast.

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
Weekly report: all L-114s still alive. They seem to really like the coconut huts as they are pretty much rasped down. Interesting that they like it, but show no interest to other veggies (though I guess should try carrots or zuchinni again now that they seem to have finally acclimated).

Does anyone know if L-91 get along with L-114s? I found a new temptation... I wish I had another separate tank for them:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishp&1268591535

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Linus_Cello;3940165; said:
Weekly report: all L-114s still alive. They seem to really like the coconut huts as they are pretty much rasped down. Interesting that they like it, but show no interest to other veggies (though I guess should try carrots or zuchinni again now that they seem to have finally acclimated).

Does anyone know if L-91 get along with L-114s? I found a new temptation... I wish I had another separate tank for them:

Well I had promblems with a 6 inch 3 beacon and my L-114's. My 9 inch would have killed it so I gave the three beacon to my neice, she has a 40 with community fish and the pleco being the only bottum dweller. Too bad really liked the three beacon-L-091. But like the L-114's better. My experiance is that L-114's or any of the pseduas do not play nice with other plecos. Also I think if my other 2 L-114's were close to my big ones size promblems would arise. Had to also get rid of my nice 5 inch goldie pleco because of constant fighting. Noticing the two smaller L-114's 3 inch and 6inch are starting to scrap withthe littler guy holding his own pretty good. May have to seperate. Just my experiance though. Have heard of other people able to keep all kinds of plecs together. Google L-24 pleco and see on u tube "Clash Of the Titans". An L-24 and an L-114 (adults) are going at it and you can see how visciuos these plecos can be to each other. Sorry for the long azz post.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
Linus_Cello;3940165; said:

you can try with L-91.. but L114s dont work with certain pleco. unless your tank is big enough... I currenlty house two L114s at 6" and 4" with a 4" Goldie, and 5 other diff plecos.. they are ok for now.. since i have enough driftwood for each pleco to cut a slice of their own space... but as they go older.. there will be more aggression..

Just be-careful..

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
so whats up? are the L114s all healed up???

My tank is doing fine now.. been almost 2 months... their growing slightly bigger... any diff on urs?

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
I think they are all settled in and "cured." Haven't seen any recurrence of the "velvet."

As for eating, when I tried veggies (zuchinni and carrots), they showed no interest in them. For "veggies," they seem to prefer the coconut husk caves, which has been shorn of coconut fibers. I'll try some veggies again tonight.

I've been feeding them primarily live blackworms (bought 1/2 a pound as a fish club group buy), and when I didn't have blackworms, frozen bloodworms, earthworm sticks, NLS, hikari wafers and shrimp pellets.
They seemed to be eating those as they seem to disappear overnight (I tried market shrimp one, and no interest).

As I mentioned on the PC post by hotplecogirl (any relation to MsMassPoly?), it looks like I have 3 variations of L114s: dark form, a dark form with an all orange tail (similar to L600), and a blond form (taile has some spotting, but less spotting than the dark form).

It looks like the largest one I have (a dark form) has gotten some size (3-3.5 inches SL). When I first got it, it was maybe a little larger than the butterfly L52; now it's definetly larger and huskier. The other three are still a little smaller (about 2 inches SL)

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
Linus_Cello;4011225; said:
I think they are all settled in and "cured." Haven't seen any recurrence of the "velvet."

As for eating, when I tried veggies (zuchinni and carrots), they showed no interest in them. For "veggies," they seem to prefer the coconut husk caves, which has been shorn of coconut fibers. I'll try some veggies again tonight.

I've been feeding them primarily live blackworms (bought 1/2 a pound as a fish club group buy), and when I didn't have blackworms, frozen bloodworms, earthworm sticks, NLS, hikari wafers and shrimp pellets.
They seemed to be eating those as they seem to disappear overnight (I tried market shrimp one, and no interest).

As I mentioned on the PC post by hotplecogirl (any relation to MsMassPoly?), it looks like I have 3 variations of L114s: dark form, a dark form with an all orange tail (similar to L600), and a blond form (taile has some spotting, but less spotting than the dark form).

It looks like the largest one I have (a dark form) has gotten some size (3-3.5 inches SL). When I first got it, it was maybe a little larger than the butterfly L52; now it's definetly larger and huskier. The other three are still a little smaller (about 2 inches SL)

oh nice.. ok... ya.. the other varient L-600 is by far the hardest to find... they grow slightly larger and actually faster.. It takes awhile for them to grow.. but when they do.. they will look very nice.. Truly one of the nicest pleco of all time...

Hope to see some update pics from you... ;)

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Glad your 114's are doing well. See told you they are worth all the b.s. espicially when they get large and don't hide as much.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
Allan01230;4017727; said:
Glad your 114's are doing well. See told you they are worth all the b.s. espicially when they get large and don't hide as much.
both of mine still hide.. they i have to say.. the seem to grow very fast... I've seen improvements in mine and my biggest one that i got a 6" is now close to 7"... but their still very shy.... :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store