Sick (fungus?) L-114s

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
Good news- it looks like the velvet is gone (and no mortalities). I did a 25% water change yesterday. I want to wait till tommorrow before I start on melafix; I'd like to do another water change before adding melafix.
Bad news- it looks like they stopped eating hikari wafers. I've seen them mouth the wafers before, but it looks like they don't care for them anymore (remnants left over). I know they're eating something since there's brown poo. Maybe it's the driftwood (coconut husk)? I also tried feeding last night frozen blood worms with the lights off; hopefully they ate those rather than having the filter get them (I do turn off the filter for 15 minutes when I put the bloodworms in). I'll try blood worms again tonight, but with the lights on.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
If you have brown poo that is a good sign. They are eating. I never see my little ones eat either but they look great and have been in the tank for 2 months now. My big guy another story I counted 20 NLS pellets. (in a half hour periiod) one time.m The little ones don't like the light the big guy could care less if it is feeding time he is out and chases all the mascara barbs away from his pellets. Kinda funny to watch.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
I would do one more metro cycle just to be safe... Velvet has a habit of coming back... even if it looks like its gone... Do one more day to make sure...

I do recommend API general cure.. as their description on cure method is once every 48 hours instead of 24 hours..

Keep us posted! ;)

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
All the L-114s still alive. Thanks Zero and Allan for the advice and encouragement (I'm going to write up this experience in for my local fish club's electronic newsletter- API general cure and melafix are good to have on hand). So far, no recurrence yet of velvet. I'm also hoping that the API treatment may have taken care of any other internal baddies that may lead to latter problems (such as in this link: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28844)

It looks like they're eating the Hikari tablets as I don't see them the next day, and there's greenish colored poop. I also don't see as much uneaten shrimp or NLS pellets (though it could have just dissolved; don't remember seeing brownish poop this morning). The only thing that worries me is that one L-114s is still pretty pale in color compared to the others; I guess it's just a natural blond.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Linus_Cello;3897644; said:
All the L-114s still alive. Thanks Zero and Allan for the advice and encouragement (I'm going to write up this experience in for my local fish club's electronic newsletter- API general cure and melafix are good to have on hand). So far, no recurrence yet of velvet. I'm also hoping that the API treatment may have taken care of any other internal baddies that may lead to latter problems (such as in this link: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28844)

It looks like they're eating the Hikari tablets as I don't see them the next day, and there's greenish colored poop. I also don't see as much uneaten shrimp or NLS pellets (though it could have just dissolved; don't remember seeing brownish poop this morning). The only thing that worries me is that one L-114s is still pretty pale in color compared to the others; I guess it's just a natural blond.
Don't worry too much about the pale color my little L-114 looks pale also. My big guys color is more of a dark olive color but you can still see the leopard spots, I have had all mine since mid-November and no issues.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
How are the L114s? Yay naw?:confused:

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
Yay... though the "blond" (palest individual) seems to now prefer squeezing between the rear glass wall and heater (unfortunately not a "covered heater"), so I'm worried about heater burn. Hopefully it'll go back to it's perch near the filter where i place a bit of hikari algae wafer for it to feed on when I turn off the light.

Have you guys seen the thread I started on planet catfish? What are your thoughts on quarantine length and use of drugs on newly shipped wild caught plecos that show no illness?

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29153

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I wouldn't treat unless disease is known to be there. I have bought wild caught online with no issues so I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it. I do quarentine for at least a month though. Just my 2 cents.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Oh by the way I have been told by my Lfs which is an excellant source for plecos that the L-114 and L-600 are indeed the same fish just color is differant due to being in a differant part of the lake. This guy is pretty realiable just ask anyone in Michigan or has been to Fantastic Fins. Don't really know myself. My 9 inch L-114 has a differant pattern in his tail compared to my little L-114's.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
Allan01230;3907885; said:
Oh by the way I have been told by my Lfs which is an excellant source for plecos that the L-114 and L-600 are indeed the same fish just color is differant due to being in a differant part of the lake. This guy is pretty realiable just ask anyone in Michigan or has been to Fantastic Fins. Don't really know myself. My 9 inch L-114 has a differant pattern in his tail compared to my little L-114's.
u saw that post.. hmm.. i guess it might just be the color moryths..

I currently have two adult Goldie.. and they both look very diff.. one being it no longer has the red tip fins on its tail the others' tail is flaming red..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store