Tadpoles

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
thats true. they are so tiny. I'm still going to switch the substrate to dirt and rock, planted plants. I'm going to leave the little pond with filter (this way I do not need to mist or change the water everyday), and then do a complete canopy to triple the land space in the tank. As I said the other tadpoles are not really developing one or two has had the outline of hind limbs for about a week and my two fatties have nothing as of yet. Could that be due to the falling temps?

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Some just seem to take way longer than others. Most in my yard are leaving by the dozens daily . While some of their same age siblings haven't even sprouted legs yet.

Gray tree frogs actually handle cooler temps better than most native tree frogs so wouldnt think that would be it .

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
I moved them into my 40 breeder put my ctenopoma, who was recovering from injuries, back in the 72g. and turned the tank into a terrarium.

Beacuse they are so tiny I sealed the tank so the fruit flies would not escape, because of this it gets very humid, had to wipe the condensation off the front to take pics. When putting them in I saw another little one got all his legs so I put him on the moss in the pond, lost his tail over night and was even showing some color this morning. I have not seen the other froglet since putting him in (too many hidding places) so I couldn't get any pics of him.

13 005.jpg

13 011.jpg

13 006.jpg

13 007.jpg

13 001.jpg

13 002.jpg

13 003.jpg

13 004.jpg

I'll try to snap some pics of the most developed froglet. He actually pretty laid back, my son was holding him yesterday, he climed up his arm and sat on his sholder for a few minutes, he has stayed green so far and has brown stripes down his hind legs. They are so tiny at the froglet stage they seem smaller than when they were tadpoles, its adorable .

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Your set up looks fantastic. Real natural and pretty.

When you mentioned that you might keep them in bird cage I sent you Gray tree frog link as thought to myself "Ouch they don't know what they are doing" but I was wrong lol.

Real nice set up.

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
Louie,

Thanks. My son and I had fun setting up the tank, our very first terriarium. The link had lots of good info, I would not have thought that sand would have not been an optimal substrate. I was just giving ideas off the top of my head, the cockatiel cage came to mind because its tall rather than having a good foot pattern which is what I'm always going for when buying a fish tank (I have a thing for bottom dewllers), but the practicality of keeping the cage humid with a mesh or screen sidings .......

When they get bigger I'm going to weed out thew males and try to find someone to give them a good home. I'm not too worried by the noise they are out in my sun room and my tank next to it has four filters running, but I do not want hundreds of tadpole babies to have to worry about.

Thanks again for all the input.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Are yours eating ?.

Mine in matter of few days are close to gone . The true albinos died when sprouting legs as expected and the white is turning gold :irked:.

I imagine it will be a simply solid green Cuban treefrog.

To bad as wanted white adults just because unusual . I had planned to set up a terrarium like yours but keep it outside in backyard patio.

TF2.JPG

TF1.JPG

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
I hope they are eating. I've been puting in fruit flies in both their adult form and in their maggot stage. This weekend I will see about picking up some pin head crickets (not sure if they will be small enough though). I been thinking about trying blood worms as well, two of the ones that are still tadpoles seem to love them, but I'm not sure if either of the froglets were takers.

That stinks that the albinos died I wonder what other genetic defect that is coupled with the albinoism causes them to not make it through their metamorphisis?

Look forward to seeing your enclosure pics when you make it.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Did you switch to screen top, how are the froglets doing?

Mine turned out to be a true white Cuban tree but taking its sweet time sprouting . All its siblings are gone.

Leucistic.JPG

StipesAndFins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Massachusetts
thats really cool!! I remember taking like 30 tadpoles from the nearby pond and putting back like 6-7 :( i guess they didnt do so good. looks like yours are doing better

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
he looks awesome, and big. how are big are they? my guys are about the size of my pinky nail. I switched to half mesh top, I used a stoller canopy mesh top that I had from when my son was little. It looks terrible and I've been kiling fruit flies that escaped left and right. I got the pin head crickets and one of the froglets since has had quite a little pot belly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store