Tadpoles

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
meghanashley;3511475; said:
I still have three tadpoles that seem in no rush to become frogs. I had read some where that some species will stay tadpoles till the following spring/ summer if there is a temperture drop before they reach the froglet stage. Do you still have eggs, or tadpoles?

Are cane toads native to Florida, didn't they create havoc somewhere as an invasive spieces....... Australia? maybe is what I'm thinkg of.

Yes Cane toads created havoc in Australia even eating small mammals that are only found in Australia.

They aren't native here and eat native toads . Some of them get real big . Remind me of trolls jumping around the street,etc at night esp after rains.
They eat each other .

As big as they are they are fairly quite during breeding season compared to "cat " screaming sound of Cuban tree frog males..

IMO they are the only non native here that takes a toll on natives but some people kill adult native southern toads thinking its a young cane toad as they look similiar.

They are smart toads and once they get to know you will do laundry for you . lol kidding but they won't flee if they see you and I think do recognize you.

I think as pets they are neat though not for me.

Yes . I saw on some animal show that in N. states some tads will stay tads till next spring but since your house is house temp. I imagine they are just taking their time.

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
I just looked them up, record holder was an astonding 15" :WHOA:, that could probably eat a kitten.

I wouldn't kill them either, and its not their fault that they were introduced as non native species to control pests and were extremely successful at acclimating themselves. Its like that simpson episode where they keep intoducing larger and larger predators to erradicate the non native species they just introduced to erradiacte the species the had introduced before that.

I read a story in the news a couple months ago about scientists encouraging something simular to be done to control a local pest. It seems even with recorded history at our fingertips people will continue to repeat the same mistakes.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
It's cooler up here this time of year, it's been low to mid 80s by day, 60s at night.

The cane toad that's been hanging out at my buddy's house is pretty smart. It hangs out by the back porch because he goes outside and feeds it, like if there's bugs around the porch light he tosses them down to the toad.

Funny about invasives...the one that seems to be most noticeable where I am is the brown anole. When I was younger and came down to Florida on vacation there were tons of green anoles; now I rarely see a green but I can't walk outside without spotting browns every day.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
meghanashley;3511648; said:
I just looked them up, record holder was an astonding 15" :WHOA:, that could probably eat a kitten.

I wouldn't kill them either, and its not their fault that they were introduced as non native species to control pests and were extremely successful at acclimating themselves. Its like that simpson episode where they keep intoducing larger and larger predators to erradicate the non native species they just introduced to erradiacte the species the had introduced before that.

I read a story in the news a couple months ago about scientists encouraging something simular to be done to control a local pest. It seems even with recorded history at our fingertips people will continue to repeat the same mistakes.
---------------
Thats a monster. I had no idea they could get that big. I would say roughly 8 inches or so are the size I usually see .

I didnt even think they got past 12 inches. Your right they could eat a kitten.

They do call them dog killers because some dogs bite them and die. My father in laws friend had a rottweiller that bit one it foamed at the mouth.

His friend took it to vet but dog died on the way.

News had story while back on teenagers licking them to get high . Thats why they are fairly easy to catch as they rely on that white mucus to ward someone off.

I grab them with my hands not my mouth :screwy: lol when I put them in front yard . I don't want them in back yard.

How they get over a wall is a mystery but they do.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
CTU2fan;3511827; said:
It's cooler up here this time of year, it's been low to mid 80s by day, 60s at night.

The cane toad that's been hanging out at my buddy's house is pretty smart. It hangs out by the back porch because he goes outside and feeds it, like if there's bugs around the porch light he tosses them down to the toad.

Funny about invasives...the one that seems to be most noticeable where I am is the brown anole. When I was younger and came down to Florida on vacation there were tons of green anoles; now I rarely see a green but I can't walk outside without spotting browns every day.
---------------------

That Cane toad will know your friend . They are "smart" toads. They aren't bad pets just in case he opts to keep it.

I just can't have them in my yard as they do eat other native toads and little frogs.

When you used to see lots of green anoles wasn't there lots more wild green foilage?.

I have both brown and green but 20 minutes away by my in laws house which is much more built up you only see Brown anoles.

Just by observation from what I have seen by Glades the Brown anoles dont care if its dry and no green foilage to climb on while when I go deeper in Green,humid Glades its mostly Green anoles.

Big temp difference between us . Its 90s during day here average and 80s or min high 70s at night.

I am sick of this heat. You go outside 5 minutes and just so hot.
It is good for back yard herps .

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
That is true. I notice when I'm in more "woodsy" terrain I see more greens. I think the browns are a bit more at home around houses and urban areas.

I've heard about the toad licking. I thought it was another species though, that had hallucinogenic toxins...I think cane toads would get people sick if they licked them. Even touching them can be an issue if you're allergic, or have open cuts on your hands.

I want to say the toad with the hallucinogens is the Colorado river toad, but I can't swear to that.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
CTU2fan;3512695; said:
That is true. I notice when I'm in more "woodsy" terrain I see more greens. I think the browns are a bit more at home around houses and urban areas.

I've heard about the toad licking. I thought it was another species though, that had hallucinogenic toxins...I think cane toads would get people sick if they licked them. Even touching them can be an issue if you're allergic, or have open cuts on your hands.

I want to say the toad with the hallucinogens is the Colorado river toad, but I can't swear to that.
------------------
Yes your right the Co toad is the #1 licked toad lol but some also lick the Cane toad.

They secrete Bufotenine (5-MeO-DMT)which is actually a controlled substance lol .

Both of them secrete more or less same but Cane toads is stronger and can swell the tongue and kill and it has .

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
I cleaned out the tank and removed almost all of the moss bedding and plants. I would like to plant some more in the tank just not sure what yet. It took me a painstaking amount of time to remove to moss bedding, because I didn't want to accidently discard any froglets.

I now have somewhat of a mistery on my hands now, when I moved them into the 40 breeder I had three tadpoles and two froglets, I now have one froglet and two tadpoles. There so tiny it is possible that I missed them but generally in the morning I would see the two froglets hanging out around the pond area, and since have only seen this one guy. I'm thinking they got out and are hanging out in one of my many plants on the sunporch, as long as they don't venture into the fish tank they should be ok till I find them, there certainly are enough fruit flies for them to hunt.

Here are some pics of the one froglet, and the tank with a cleaner look. They really are relaxed with being held, the one pictured below ended up just nestling down in my hand and closing his eyes he actually got spooked when I put him back on the plant like he had been sleeping or something.

14 006.jpg

14 002.jpg

14 005.jpg

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
The froglet could have escaped but was the tadpole developed enough to get out?

If not you may have missed him.

You could plant in small clay/ceramic type pots and bury them in soil. If you rather not plant directly in soil. This way you only water directly in pot and no mold/fungus problems.

That plant is doing well.

The froglet looks real nice much nicer than the Cuban tree's in the area and even nicer than the green tree's . Imagine he has been eating the fruit flies.

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
I'm thinking the froglet I have now is the missing tadpole. They are so small I'm thinking that my son maybe didn't secure the lid correctly one night sneaking a peak and the two froglets got out.

They seem to like to gather at the water's edge at dawn, so I keep checking my fish tank when I get up to hopefully find them before they end up becoming a snack. I have alot of plants and a tree in that room which is about 7' tall, so lots of hiding places for tiny buggers to hide

I should have taken a picture of the tadpoles one is about to drop his arms and the other which I can't wait to decide to become a frog is so fat he can barely swim, he has no hints of legs or feet, he's the one who eats everything from bloodworms to pellets to veggies, I'm still working on the appropriate name for the chubby little late bloomer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store