Trichromis SALVINI and TRIMAC "Correction"

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I don't think you can look at a fishes shape or colouring and say these look simular, they should be in the same genus.
Some fish evolve to look alike through environmental factors yet they are completely unrelated.
South American eartheaters look very similar to some c/a eartheaters.They are completely unrelated but their environment and feeding strategy have dictated they evolved in a very simular way.
This is a good example of convergent evolution but does not make them of the same genus.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Ya'll funny. If my favorites can be classified together then yes we'll go ahead and put salvini in same as trimac. I didnt read every post but did see one about lyonsi and agree 100%. they are teimacs stunt double. Wanna lump salvini in with big fish let's do it with caquetaia spectabilis...now we're having real fun. On a serious note, has anyone crossed festae and salvini cause I'd love to see that

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Ya'll funny. If my favorites can be classified together then yes we'll go ahead and put salvini in same as trimac. I didnt read every post but did see one about lyonsi and agree 100%. they are teimacs stunt double. Wanna lump salvini in with big fish let's do it with caquetaia spectabilis...now we're having real fun. On a serious note, has anyone crossed festae and salvini cause I'd love to see that
I don't think the op is just trying to have his favourites classified together, he has read a compelling article written by Juan Miguel. It's just that the article was written before dna testing, which has subsequently proved that there is no link between Trimacs and salvini.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Unless I see the evidence that the Trimac isn't related to Salvini I'll continue suggesting that Juans article was correct... I'm going to try and track down the DNA diagrams for both

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I don't understand why the thorichthys genus is a mess.It seems OK to me.
I also don't see why robertsoni should have anything to do with thorichthys.
To me the thorichthys group is perfectly clear.
I agree. Thorichthys has been one of the few genus that hasn't been messed with much. Glad panchovillai finally got described. Not sure why it took so long and why they never made any list of thorichthys species.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Does anyone have a link to the paper describing the genetics proving Trimac's are Amphilophus? OP you're saying the scientists are wrong again, yet you're using some of the poorest science I've ever seen. One article? One data point? Seriously? You are being 100% subjective and stating it as fact. Tell me what credentials do you have to make such a bold statement?

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Does anyone have a link to the paper describing the genetics proving Trimac's are Amphilophus? OP you're saying the scientists are wrong again, yet you're using some of the poorest science I've ever seen. One article? One data point? Seriously? You are being 100% subjective and stating it as fact. Tell me what credentials do you have to make such a bold statement?
Nothing other than writing in some publications in the 1980s and 90s and illustrating all the above species... These scientists just seem to think they have a right to "Re-Name" species indiscriminately... I see two species that look fairly similiar and I want to see the proof why they aren't in the same group... Trimchromis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store