Trichromis SALVINI and TRIMAC "Correction"

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
I don't think you can look at a fishes shape or colouring and say these look simular, they should be in the same genus.
Some fish evolve to look alike through environmental factors yet they are completely unrelated.
South American eartheaters look very similar to some c/a eartheaters.They are completely unrelated but their environment and feeding strategy have dictated they evolved in a very simular way.
This is a good example of convergent evolution but does not make them of the same genus.

You're over simplifying my point which is based on Juans article which I happen to agree with... On the subject of Robertsoni... They were called the "false Firemouth"

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Nothing other than writing in some publications in the 1980s and 90s and illustrating all the above species... These scientists just seem to think they have a right to "Re-Name" species indiscriminately... I see two species that look fairly similiar and I want to see the proof why they aren't in the same group... Trimchromis
The other page of the phylogenetic tree showing salvini is closer to Thorichthys then anything else, and on the first page trimac being shown that it just about belongs in Amphilophus
This phylogenetic tree was done in 2007, I think there are a few more recent ones about.
Phylogeny and biogeography of 91 species of heroine cichlids (Teleostei: Cichlidae) based on sequences of the Cytochrome b gene

Fig-3-Bayesian-phylogeny-of-heroine-cichlids-showing-relationships-among-lineages-of.png

JakeAlmighty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
Canada

^ yay salvini

physical similarities are not enough scientifically classify fish together in this day and age of genetics and DNA analysis. The old guesswork is the kind of stuff that led to the disaster of the cichlasoma genus in the first place. from what I've read it doesn't seem that salvini and trimacs should be grouped together.

it's all still a big mess but the scientists will work it out over the next couple of decades I'm sure.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
You're over simplifying my point which is based on Juans article which I happen to agree with... On the subject of Robertsoni... They were called the "false Firemouth"
That is old info and common names mean nothing in science. Robertsoni was never in the thorichthys genus. Amphilophus sure, but it was never called the false blue devil lol. Evolution is what shapes these cichlids. Just because they may look similar, doesn't mean they are related. It means certain species have evolved similar traits to exploit food sources. Thorichthys and cribroheros cichlids both shift for food in the substrait. But if you watch how they both do it, you will see they do it differently. If you look at the mouths of robertsoni and meeki, you will see robertsoni has a much wider mouth than meeki. The reason is robertsoni takes in large amounts of sand where meeki picks at the sand in small bites.
While DNA sequencing puts trichromis salvini closely related to thorichthys,but it has evolved to exploit different food sources and feeding strategies.
But if you want to compare similarities in species, salvini also have some features like some thorichthys like say pasionis. Things like the eye spot on the gill plate and protruding lower jaw.

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_4042.JPG

Reactions: RD. and Stanzzzz7

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
I have kept trimaculatus, salvini, and lyonsi and I believe that those three fish should be grouped together based on looks and body shape. I don't see trimaculatus and lyonsi as being similar to amphilophus at all. That's my unscientific opinion. I feel like the scientists are over thinking naming these fish. I remember the days when it was just one form of convict. Now its four and the only difference is coloration and slight body differences. Those things could just be location adaptations but now that species is hella convoluted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyberman

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I have kept trimaculatus, salvini, and lyonsi and I believe that those three fish should be grouped together based on looks and body shape. I don't see trimaculatus and lyonsi as being similar to amphilophus at all. That's my unscientific opinion.
This just proves my point that the OP's argument is invalid. Subjectivity has no room in real science.

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
This just proves my point that the OP's argument is invalid. Subjectivity has no room in real science.
That's why I said unscientific opinion but the science behind the madness just blurs the lines and its practically pointless.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I believe science adds clarity.
I don't think just because one fish looks like another is enough for a defining answer.
Lots of fish look simular. Some fish mimic other fish, others just evolve to look the same.I believe science is much more accurate than,both those fish are yellow with three spots.

Reactions: cichlidfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store