Trying a new waterproofing rubber!!

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
i have a gal and i am doing some testing right now ... had it shipped to me and it cost about $65 shipped .. which is a little costly .. but if i can do the tank with 2 gal then it should not be to bad ..

i really wish it was not so hard to get here in indiana

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
joey how did you apply .. aka time between coats and did you use a new sponge roller each coat .. and so on .. like i said i am doing some testing right now .. so this info would help greatly

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Iffrat;3133680; said:
joey how did you apply .. aka time between coats and did you use a new sponge roller each coat .. and so on .. like i said i am doing some testing right now .. so this info would help greatly

I applied every day. around 24hrs between coats. I used the same brush for every 3 coats, and then started with a new one. I just wrapped the used sponge in a plastic bag so it wouldnt cure. You will see for your self how it goes on and what it feels like when cured, so you will know how thick to put it on. I was generous with most coats. it will still be tacky when cured, but that does go away. For your fisrt coupke of coats the sponge roller will be fine for the corners as well, but after that, start to build up the corners a bit with a sponge brush(like how you would silicone a glass tank) but not too thick or it takes a few days to cure, or if too thick it may not cure at all on the inside. To know if the thicker parts are cured or not, press it hard, it shouldnt have much give.

your gonna like this stuff.

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
joey020283;3134322; said:
I applied every day. around 24hrs between coats. I used the same brush for every 3 coats, and then started with a new one. I just wrapped the used sponge in a plastic bag so it wouldnt cure. You will see for your self how it goes on and what it feels like when cured, so you will know how thick to put it on. I was generous with most coats. it will still be tacky when cured, but that does go away. For your fisrt coupke of coats the sponge roller will be fine for the corners as well, but after that, start to build up the corners a bit with a sponge brush(like how you would silicone a glass tank) but not too thick or it takes a few days to cure, or if too thick it may not cure at all on the inside. To know if the thicker parts are cured or not, press it hard, it shouldnt have much give.

your gonna like this stuff.

i put the first coat on the test plywood i got .. just to see how to apply it and curing and such .. seems to go on nice and easy .. the 1st coat JUST covered all the plywood .. i think that it would take 2 more coats to get something that would be waterproof for say .. a dog house or something .. so i can see how it would take around 9 for a tank .. just to be safe ..

after about 5 min it was "dry" but still really sticky .. but none of it would come off onto my skin .. but it was 85* and sunny out .. so im sure that had something to do with it ..

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Iffrat;3134547; said:
i put the first coat on the test plywood i got .. just to see how to apply it and curing and such .. seems to go on nice and easy .. the 1st coat JUST covered all the plywood .. i think that it would take 2 more coats to get something that would be waterproof for say .. a dog house or something .. so i can see how it would take around 9 for a tank .. just to be safe ..

after about 5 min it was "dry" but still really sticky .. but none of it would come off onto my skin .. but it was 85* and sunny out .. so im sure that had something to do with it ..
how is it comming?

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
joey020283;3139995; said:
how is it comming?
3rd coat and it looks like there is a full seal .. that combined with your build i think that i might be ready to start one of my own .. now its just a size and weight issue .. :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store