Trying a new waterproofing rubber!!

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
I think everyone is overlooking a very critical aspect on a product like this: its adhesive properties.

Its not a big deal from a new build perspective because you have the chance to seal the window to the product membrane.

But what happens when you need to redo the coating and don't want to remove the window? Can the product have underwater seams? Sanitred is the only rubberized product that I have seen that would guarantee their product in that situation. Bluemax reps for example, said they wouldn't recommend a submerged seam on their product as there is danger of the hydrostatic pressure forcing its way under the rubberized layer. In a pond, this worry would be moot as the seams are all above the water line. Unless.. what if you wanted to repair a hole? Forget about just doing a patch, as the seams would all be underwater... you would be looking at an entire coating just to safely keep the seams above water.

King Edward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hey big col, if your ponds the same size as mine, why are you wanting to order 20L? I think I'll only need 2 gallons...am I missing something?

As for having to take the window out....If i get a leak, as I'm sure I will, the WHOLE thing is getting recoated whether it needs it or not! Thats easier with it being so much cheaper too!

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
King Edward;3106593; said:
Hey big col, if your ponds the same size as mine, why are you wanting to order 20L? I think I'll only need 2 gallons...am I missing something?

As for having to take the window out....If i get a leak, as I'm sure I will, the WHOLE thing is getting recoated whether it needs it or not! Thats easier with it being so much cheaper too!

I guess... but IMO, if the product can't withstand underwater seams, then its useless in these applications. So everytime you need to do any kind of patch, you're breaking the whole contraption down and removing the window and putting in a full layer? I would rather just find a better suited product. One that lets you safely patch in any scenario. That way, the window would never need to come out either. Thats great in large application where moving a 400lb window is a PITA.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
I'll ask my contact this question, but the logical answer is that it wouldn't be a problem, The application of the product is done 1 layer at a time is cured between coats which in my opinion (not a statement from Liquid rubber) would mean that patching (cold seaming) is not only do-able but required

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
The trick is phrasing the question just right. It took me four phone calls to the Bluemax rep before he sheepishly admitted the vulnerablity of their product when "doing a fully submerged patch were the seams are all underwater". (not applying underwater, mind you)

Up until then, Bluemax looked like the phantasy solution to all our fish tank building needs. Things they would tout about Bluemax:

Will molecularly bond to itself!

Lasts forever!

Will never delaminate!

And then I rephrased the question and it became:

Will molecularly bond to itself! Unless exposed to constant hydrostatic pressure.

Lasts forever!

Will never delaminate! Unless exposed to constant hydrostatic pressure.

Burko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Australia
And then I rephrased the question and it became:

"Will molecularly bond to itself! Unless exposed to constant hydrostatic pressure.

Lasts forever!

Will never delaminate! Unless exposed to constant hydrostatic pressure. "

Being an optimist...I take it as "if applied correctly" it will last forever.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
"constant hydrostatic pressure" = Underwater. However, if laminated to keep water IN, on the water side of the substrate, the hydrostatic pressure would hold the layers together. I think the disclaimer is more with regards to applications on basement walls where the water would be pushing from the outside in, tending to delaminate the rubber from the substrate.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Well seeing as I've used products from AMES before (the makers of BlueMAX) and they STILL hold water, I am not going to get too worried about the possibility of a leak due to a patch job. But, shrug, it's just my opinion. I've known for the last 5 years now that these elastomeric compounds work well coating a tank.......

BIGS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Perth WA
theres a distributor in Perth Western Australia and unbelievably by chance I came across somebody in my very suburb whos becoming a distributor for Pond Armour too!! I can get a number of units excluding freight cost so now I have 2 choices that are similarly priced. I can't believe my luck. I think im going to use pond armour on my plywood aquarium and liquid armour on the big pond that I'm renovating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store