New Flowerhorn

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Live food is not the healthiest choice either. Easy way to transmit a disease into your fish. No goldy feeders!!! Stick to pellets and give treats if you want sparingly. Frozen fish, shrimp, and the like is fine as treats. Worms and insects as treats only if you are 100% sure they haven't been exposed to pesticides. They will also take some fruits and veggies. No mammal meats.
I'll just stick to pellets to be safe lol.

What veggie is good to feed him?

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
I'll just stick to pellets to be safe lol.

What veggie is good to feed him?
Is fruits and veggies necessarily good for them? I'm not sure. I have thrown in small pieces of melons, berries, grapes, bananas, peas, zucchini, cucumber, carrot, etc. Just for kicks. It never hurt them IME, but I only give them very little. Just a taste. For kicks I also throw in a small piece of shrimp, fish, crab, clam, oyster, mussel, etc (seafood)... when I'm cooking for the family. Just a taste. But pellets are just fine. There is no real need to feed anything else.
Do I advise it? Nah. I would stick to pellets. If you want get a small pack of Hikari jumbo krill and give em a piece now and then.

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Is fruits and veggies necessarily good for them? I'm not sure. I have thrown in small pieces of melons, berries, grapes, bananas, peas, zucchini, cucumber, carrot, etc. Just for kicks. It never hurt them IME, but I only give them very little. Just a taste. For kicks I also throw in a small piece of shrimp, fish, crab, clam, oyster, mussel, etc (seafood)... when I'm cooking for the family. Just a taste. But pellets are just fine. There is no real need to feed anything else.
Do I advise it? Nah. I would stick to pellets. If you want get a small pack of Hikari jumbo krill and give em a piece now and then.
Oh I c. Thank u so much!!

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
If my Flowerhorn likes to put his own poop and spit back out, that's normal right?

And at times I noticed little bits n stuff he actually eats it. Lol

I hope that's normal

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Hey guys!
Its been quite some time since I updated my FH, more photos will come soon.. =]

I stick with this routine everyday and just wondering If its OK.
-I turn ON my aquarium light every morning when I wake up to feed him.
-12 hours later I feed him again, so basically I feed 2 times a day.
-when I'm ready to go to bed I turn my aquarium light OFF.
That's what I been doing everyday since I got him.

Anything wrong with this routine? Feedback please much appreciated!!

I recently noticed he got scared and try to hide himself in the corner of the tank one night when I woke up to go pee. Thought it was normal and he just needs time to get used to it. Cuz I read somewhere FH needs to rest at night and total darkness is good for them.

Thoughts?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Hey guys!

I recently noticed he got scared and try to hide himself in the corner of the tank one night when I woke up to go pee. Thought it was normal and he just needs time to get used to it. Cuz I read somewhere FH needs to rest at night and total darkness is good for them.

Thoughts?
Unlike most animals fish have no eyelids so total darkness is what they need. Often times even with my lights on towards their bedtime some fish will go sleep in a cave and such.

They go into limp mode while sleeping. That's when sometimes I have to catch my fish out of my big tank.

I put my lights On a timer in the morning for an hour so when I'm up I can see them and then at 5-9pm when I'm usually home.

Reactions: J0hnny69

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Hey guys!

Thoughts?
Sounds fine. No need to be concerned. I also use a timer like Ishnshaik. Less work and more consistent. Let's see an update pic!

Reactions: J0hnny69
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store