How "monster" can I go?

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
I wouldn't recommend Neon species for tank bigger than 40G, you ask why? Because you will need a HUGE shoal like thousand of them in 100G+ to see it true beauty :) and it's does cost couple thousand dollars which not many aquarist would want to spend that much on a tiny fish.
I also, recommended on previous post about Geophagus species, these community cichlid always out going and active during daytime, if you want a community tank then there are many species will live happily in your 125G, if you want something more aggressive then the stock list is very limited and usually ended up with a single solo species. I setup a community tank for my sister law office and her client more happy seeing a peaceful, calm, active tank while waiting rather than her previous setup with a pair aggressive Jaguar (Parachromis Managuensis).
I'm in sales and have a group of 5 guys here in my office. We sell building materials over the phone so no clients come to our office.

I agree with you on the neon #s. I had about 50 in my 90g planted and it wasn't enough for my taste but it was boring to me after a while. I want something more aggressive.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I'm in sales and have a group of 5 guys here in my office. We sell building materials over the phone so no clients come to our office.

I agree with you on the neon #s. I had about 50 in my 90g planted and it wasn't enough for my taste but it was boring to me after a while. I want something more aggressive.
when i hear aggressive i start thinking single specimen

Reactions: jwd and cichlidfish

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
when i hear aggressive i start thinking single specimen
It's so unfortunate too. There are fish that I'd like to keep that are single species fish like flowerhorns and dovii but I don't want to commit to that until I get into a larger house and can have a small fish room. I want to keep aro's, dovii, and other mean monsters but can't right now.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Not sure what kind of budget you are looking at and how much work you're willing to do for maintenance, but I think some discus would look really good in there.

Reactions: jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Not sure what kind of budget you are looking at and how much work you're willing to do for maintenance, but I think some discus would look really good in there.
I love discus but I don't love changing my water every day. I plan on doing water changes once a week. As far as budget goes, I can get away with buying any fish I please. I don't have the budget or space to go bigger in tank size. This spot I have the 125 in is 8ft exactly so I couldn't get an 8fter like I wanted. I was thinking about getting another Sunsun but do you think 2 is enough?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You know your an MFK when 125 and small are used in the same sentence!

Are you looking to go wet pet biotope, or assorted specimens / oddballs?
Haha, i used to think my 125 was a beast until i came on this site. Thanks to you lot i feel like a guy with a 2" cock now!!!! Haha.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I love discus but I don't love changing my water every day. I plan on doing water changes once a week. As far as budget goes, I can get away with buying any fish I please. I don't have the budget or space to go bigger in tank size. This spot I have the 125 in is 8ft exactly so I couldn't get an 8fter like I wanted. I was thinking about getting another Sunsun but do you think 2 is enough?
unless the other guys are enthusiasts as well i would consider a wet pet type of a fish that can handle some stress from other people

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Why not dedicate this tank to a wet pet and not a community? Maybe a pair of large cichlids? Maybe amphs like a trimac or red devil?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store