How "monster" can I go?

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Wow guys, excellent suggestions all over the place! How did I forget festae?!! One of my favorites. Rotkeil sevs are really nice looking and the jurupari is beautiful.

Reactions: Finagain

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I love discus but I don't love changing my water every day. I plan on doing water changes once a week. As far as budget goes, I can get away with buying any fish I please. I don't have the budget or space to go bigger in tank size. This spot I have the 125 in is 8ft exactly so I couldn't get an 8fter like I wanted. I was thinking about getting another Sunsun but do you think 2 is enough?
If you get adults and don't stick them heavily then I think you could easily keep the discus with weekly water changes. They will be expensive that way but if you are ok with paying for them. I would think a group of 6, maybe 8, would do great and be absolutely fine with once a week water changes.

Honestly, I like discus a lot and am a little biased to them but I truly think they would look very good in your tank the way you have it set up.

Reactions: jwd

Finagain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2016
I love discus but I don't love changing my water every day. I plan on doing water changes once a week. As far as budget goes, I can get away with buying any fish I please. I don't have the budget or space to go bigger in tank size. This spot I have the 125 in is 8ft exactly so I couldn't get an 8fter like I wanted. I was thinking about getting another Sunsun but do you think 2 is enough?
As far as the SunSuns go, I would think that 2, 525 GPH units should work fine. I have the 300 and whatever GPH on a 55 overloaded with turtles and it keeps the water crystal clear.

Even if you don't go with discus water changes are a be-atch. Is there any way you can rig a drip system in the space you have?

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
it sounds to me like you want a big ish central american cichlid or something, i would try to find something in the 12" range, you mentioned grammodes. that would probably be cool, they do look a little bland to me color wise but might still be fun. trimac would be cool, or breidohri and pearsei are both pretty cool. i'm not a central keeper though so i cant speak too much on these fish

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think another thing to consider is growth rates of prospective fish.
If you go three or four slow growing cichlids you're gonna have an empty looking tank for a while.

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
As far as the SunSuns go, I would think that 2, 525 GPH units should work fine. I have the 300 and whatever GPH on a 55 overloaded with turtles and it keeps the water crystal clear.

Even if you don't go with discus water changes are a be-atch. Is there any way you can rig a drip system in the space you have?
Good to know the Sunsun is working for you. I was worried when I bought them since they're not a big name brand. I really wouldn't know how to set one up. The way I do water changes now is pull a water hose through a window across the hall from me and I siphon water out through my window.

it sounds to me like you want a big ish central american cichlid or something, i would try to find something in the 12" range, you mentioned grammodes. that would probably be cool, they do look a little bland to me color wise but might still be fun. trimac would be cool, or breidohri and pearsei are both pretty cool. i'm not a central keeper though so i cant speak too much on these fish
yeah, that's what I'd prefer but I may have to settle for smaller cichlids until I can upgrade to a larger tank or multiple aquariums.

I think another thing to consider is growth rates of prospective fish.
If you go three or four slow growing cichlids you're gonna have an empty looking tank for a while.
That is going to be tough! I've gone through that once and I have zero patience so it was brutal. There have been some excellent suggestions in here and I'll likely go with some of them.

Finagain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2016
I have 4 SunSuns. Plus I just ordered a mini one for a 20 gallon fry tank too. I just put a coarse pad in the bottom and a fine one on top. I fill the baskets with garden store lava rock. Clean them once every 4 or 5 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store