How "monster" can I go?

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
unless the other guys are enthusiasts as well i would consider a wet pet type of a fish that can handle some stress from other people
I've tried having a 1 fish aquarium before and I did really enjoy having a large dog like pet fish (8" oscar in a 55g by himself) after time it just came down to wanting to have a variety of species. The only fish I'd consider breaking my rule not to do that again is if I could keep a dovii for life in this 125 and after watching a million youtube videos I know that a 125 couldn't be a forever home for that glorious fish :(

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Why not dedicate this tank to a wet pet and not a community? Maybe a pair of large cichlids? Maybe amphs like a trimac or red devil?
I wasn't familiar with trimacs until your reply but wow, they're beautiful. They look similar to flowerhorns. They could be housed with more than one of its own?

Edit: I ask because I've read that flowerhorn can only be kept by themselves. I've always wanted one but again, I don't want this to be a 1 fish aquarium. I'd only go that route if I could keep a dovii.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I've tried having a 1 fish aquarium before and I did really enjoy having a large dog like pet fish (8" oscar in a 55g by himself) after time it just came down to wanting to have a variety of species. The only fish I'd consider breaking my rule not to do that again is if I could keep a dovii for life in this 125 and after watching a million youtube videos I know that a 125 couldn't be a forever home for that glorious fish :(
very true and responsible of you

i keep going back to a large school or two (mascara/filament/rohani barbs, greater scissor tails, etc.) with a big peaceful chocolate. you could put a big group of yoyo loaches or cories on bottom or go with a larger but not to predatory cat. bristlenose plecos dont get big and keep my viewing panes clear as well.

Reactions: jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
unless the other guys are enthusiasts as well i would consider a wet pet type of a fish that can handle some stress from other people
I'm in a 13' x 8' office to myself so the guys stop by from time to time to check out what I have going on in my aquarium from time to time but for the most part they are indifferent as to what I have. My father on the other hand complains to no end if I have anything in my aquarium other than a million african cichlids because that's his preference and he's very outspoken about his opinion :|

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016

i keep going back to a large school or two (mascara/filament/rohani barbs, greater scissor tails, etc.) with a big peaceful chocolate. you could put a big group of yoyo loaches or cories on bottom or go with a larger but not to predatory cat. bristlenose plecos dont get big and keep my viewing panes clear as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind as I decide on my stocking list.

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
hey guys, what about a Chiapaheros grammodes??? I was reading old threads on here and saw someone recommend them.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
What about a female festae, an albino Senegal Birchir and a gold spot pleco?

Reactions: jwd

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York

I have something somewhat similar to this. Shoal of clown loaches, a pair of Uaru, 5 filament barbs, and just added a flagtail yesterday. My tank is 5x2x2. I don't have room, but I've thought a tank of uaru, severum, small dithers, and chocolate cichlids would be nice.

Reactions: jwd and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store