4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDS

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
WESTERN MASS
galabar,

Glad you want to be a supporter. My stacked lumber method works as demonstrated by Rich's and John's (2) tanks and the fact that my tank does not flex when filled. There's tons of people who told me in no uncertain terms that I was stupid for doing the stacked lumber and that I should just go with the normal walls like everyone else. Do you think I regret for one minute not listening? When I saw Rich, one of a handful of people on MFK that I have the utmost respect for, adopt my method and John's builds show up here with it that was a huge affirmation.
I like the staked wood for it's structural stability. but not for it's ability to hold water. IMO if you where to sheath the entire inside of the tank you more than likely would not be having all this problem keeping the water in.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
I like the staked wood for it's structural stability. but not for it's ability to hold water. IMO if you where to sheath the entire inside of the tank you more than likely would not be having all this problem keeping the water in.
The tank is sheathed with ply. See post#458.;)

Canrow

Feeder Fish
Sep 4, 2012
Alaska
I have been researching tank building for my husband (yours is almost exactly the size in mind) I was hoping after reading this entire thread that it worked out :( I have been looking for someone who succeeded with rubber coatings...We are in Alaska and one of the biggest concerns is keeping the finished product from cracking in a moderate size (4-5 on scale at least) earthquake. We get the rolling type and the type where it feels as though a train has rammed into the side of the house.

Anyone know of a success with the rubber coatings? Any of the pond armor and such isn't an option (we refuse to buy a product where the shipping is more than the product) as in hazmat...I could handle waiting until it was summer again to get it for the temperature concerns. We need to get our plans nailed down soon and start, since we have Pacus (all given to us) that need a larger tank ASAP. I know after the construction part that I will end up doing most of the work... One thing we do have is time, as we run a business out of our home.

I'm sorry you have had so many problems getting this to work for you. Hope your eye, and your little boy are well! Subscribing so I can get to the updates (hopefully there will be one, and this isn't a large reptile enclosure now).

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I don't see this getting finished ever. I noticed that the thread veered from "my build" into "her reptile builds" and that's where all forward momentum was lost. There wasn't time to troubleshoot this project but there was time to start others. It's a shame cause this could have been a tank worthy of a stick but instead it's just empty space.

catsish33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2010
Airzona
good luck man!
:headbang2

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Any updates Pete, even if it's a "hey sorry guys but this isn't going to happen" update? Would be a complete shame if this thread was just left to die without any form of conclusion regardless of what that form may be. Of course we want to see a tank full of fish though but you can't start something like this and just leave it in limbo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store