More tank pics, updated

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Hi, its the Sandtastik floral sand. It's heavy and feels like large sugar crystals . Canadian company. Go to my "Best sand ever" thread for details. I have different colors in all my tanks. The color you see is carribean blue. Other colors I have are apple green and baja blue.
Thanks! I will check it out.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Cool pictures. I liked the blow by blow narrative, very descriptive. I am glad they are tolerating each other. I hope it only gets better from this point. What type of Synodontis is Rex? Might get one for an aggressive cichlid I have.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I'm glad you have a cleaner fish. I hope it makes a difference in you having less fish housework in that the Synodontis eats the left over fish food in the tank. Also it is cool that you have more fish action (not fighting) in your aquarium. I like community (and all kinds ) aquariums for the visual variety.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Your narrative of the new fish introduction interactions with the established fish is splashy good reading.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Nice tank! Love the blue sand with the orange fish. Where did you get it?
Finwin introed me to the Sandtastik Sand. She recommends the Sandtastik Floral. I ordered the Classic (green) by accident which requires some kneading and soaking prep work to get the air bubbles out. The Sandtastik Floral doesn't require the prep work. The Classic Sand is really fine, which worked out well for my Horseman Cories' requirements. Both types (granule size) are easy maintainance and clean well, not going down the vacuum tube and settling fast.

Reactions: Poseidon2.0

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Finwin introed me to the Sandtastik Sand. She recommends the Sandtastik Floral. I ordered the Classic (green) by accident which requires some kneading and soaking prep work to get the air bubbles out. The Sandtastik Floral doesn't require the prep work. The Classic Sand is really fine, which worked out well for my Horseman Cories' requirements. Both types (granule size) are easy maintainance and clean well, not going down the vacuum tube and settling fast.
Thanks for the info. Will def check into getting some of the Floral.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
F Fishflyer - Rex is an Ocelifer Synodontis catfish. I also read they're friendly and eat from your hand. In the wild they get to 19" but usually max out in a tank about a foot or less. I transported him by hand, he was very relaxed.

Chip has a lot of potential. I believe with time and more size he'll be spectacular. He's very active, more so than any of the other fish. When they're in rest mode he's swimming around like a race car.

It's pretty easy to do a journal with these guys. I just observe their behavior and reactions and put words to it. I probably only spend about 10-15 minutes at a time watching them. All other times is maintenance. I may watch more when introducing new fish. My parrots Patch and Kong watch the show from their tanks. Its good to have a break from the extra quarantine tanks. Rex eats well even though I rarely see him doing so. He was pretty plump last night!

Reactions: Fishflyer

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
"Day after" update. Rex is as active as a pictus catfish. I'm really surprised, he swims everywhere not just at the bottom. Even climbs the plants. Brick takes cheap shots at everyone when he can. Chip gives him plenty of exercise and runs Brick in circles round the tank...my blundering O has no hope of catching him. Brick gave a wide yawn today...he could fit a lemon in that gob. I still keep an eye when he's around Rex..although he mostly takes a random "you're a nuisance" side shot at the catfish.

Rex has scratched his side trying to force himself into tight places. I've moved stuff at 'the floor' slightly to give him easier swimming lanes. He also loves swimming at the bubblers and intakes. I'll be putting a pot in today for him after the w/c.

Boss went after Brick when he bum rushed his pot and poked him in the side. The bp shot out like a cannonball...they crashed together and locked up...Brick can't overpower the sumo parrot despite his size. You would think that with their intelligence oscars would realize when they won't win a fight! Being biggest doesn't automatically mean whoop ass...only one getting whooped is him. He'll chase Boss which gives him a false sense of superiority. Then he stubbornly goes back for more.

Chip has found a spot for himself, above Boss' pot. Boss doen't care as long as Chip isn't too close. Funny thing, all 4 fish were swimming together in a school when I turned the lights on! :screwy:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishflyer

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
"Day after" update. Rex is as active as a pictus catfish. I'm really surprised, he swims everywhere not just at the bottom. Even climbs the plants. Brick takes cheap shots at everyone when he can. Chip gives him plenty of exercise and runs Brick in circles round the tank...my blundering O has no hope of catching him. Brick gave a wide yawn today...he could fit a lemon in that gob. I still keep an eye when he's around Rex..although he mostly takes a random "you're a nuisance" side shot at the catfish.

Rex has scratched his side trying to force himself into tight places. I've moved stuff at 'the floor' slightly to give him easier swimming lanes. He also loves swimming at the bubblers and intakes. I'll be putting a pot in today for him after the w/c.

Boss went after Brick when he bum rushed his pot and poked him in the side. The bp shot out like a cannonball...they crashed together and locked up...Brick can't overpower the sumo parrot despite his size. You would think that with their intelligence oscars would realize when they won't win a fight! Being biggest doesn't automatically mean whoop ass...only one getting whooped is him. He'll chase Boss which gives him a false sense of superiority. Then he stubbornly goes back for more.

Chip has found a spot for himself, above Boss' pot. Boss doen't care as long as Chip isn't too close. Funny thing, all 4 fish were swimming together in a school when I turned the lights. Comrades in the dark. Might take a little while. Rome wasn't ect. ect. Sounds promising. I wonder if they know you are watching. Some fish are smarter than we think. Some of mine are fond of me. I think Brick appreciates how you spoil him. Or maybe he just expects it. Such a prince. And am not talking about the Artist.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store