Mangrove Jack Growout

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Red colour really starting to pop!
Yeah he is a lot darker more often now. Looks real nice and red when he is hungry and begging for food.
I have read that eating prawns brings out the red colour. Not sure if that is true but he is eating lots of prawns lately so there may be some truth to it….

Reactions: Chub_by

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
IMG_3095.jpegIMG_3105.jpeg
It’s been 1 year since I got Terry.
He is just over 9 inches long and is always hungry and loving his prawns. Growing at a steady rate without braking any records. (But I actually have measured him and ain’t adding another 25% like a lot of posts I see haha)

His left eye has what looks to be a scar on it from when I moved him and the tank (read earlier post). Doesn’t seem to affect his vision but it’s a little disappointing as I don’t know exactly what caused it or happened.

Tried to get a photo of his little teeth but he don’t sit still for long haha. He knocks out the top 2 front ones often when he is smashing prawns into the rocks. You can see a tooth has grown back on 1 side but not the other yet.
IMG_3106.jpeg
In that front-on photo you can also see the scarring on his left eye. Looks to be on the lense.

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
ace fish I love the update. My big male jag used to lose and grow back the two vampire style teeth
I love Jags, they are great fish. I used to have a Jag breading pair years ago. My big male was crazy when he wanted some action and would often bang himself and the female up pretty good in order to get it…was entertaining to say the least haha.
I also remember him losing some teeth here and there.

Reactions: Simonas

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Beautiful fish I like him a lot and no I can't see scarring from here but you know its there. The lens is within the eye, the layer on the outside is the cornea.
Thanks for the comments.
Ok I think it is on the lense then. I will get a better photo to show it.
I know it’s not a big deal, and I can’t change it.

This is zoomed in on the photo above. Looks to be under the cornea.
IMG_3107.jpeg

Reactions: FJB

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Thanks for the clearer photo I can see it, but wouldn't know if you hadn't pointed it out.

I would hope for the best he shouldn't be visually impaired.

I know from experience that eyes are capable of very good repair.

My baby daughter cracked me in the eye with all her strength (well, the strength of a baby) with a sharp object and split my actual eye open corner to corner.

Eye didn't see that one coming.

I immediately knew I would be blinded for life and the pain and anxiety were terrible.

But they must see it all the time at the hospital because it was no big deal to these wonderful people. Unless they really just didn't care.

I had a peep under the bandage and to my surprise my eye hadn't dropped out it was still there.

Couldn't see out of it though which was worrying.

Because the bandage was in the way.

In only four days I could take the bandage off.

Wow I could see again (well a bit more again because I'd been using my other eye) and without hesitation I smacked that baby soundly.

Alternative non-violent ending: The first thing I did upon removing the bandage was hold my dear daughter lovingly in my arms and she pucked down my neck.

• Haha
Reactions: Heck and Berts46ers

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Thanks for the clearer photo I can see it, but wouldn't know if you hadn't pointed it out.

I would hope for the best he shouldn't be visually impaired.

I know from experience that eyes are capable of very good repair.

My baby daughter cracked me in the eye with all her strength (well, the strength of a baby) with a sharp object and split my actual eye open corner to corner.

Eye didn't see that one coming.

I immediately knew I would be blinded for life and the pain and anxiety were terrible.

But they must see it all the time at the hospital because it was no big deal to these wonderful people. Unless they really just didn't care.

I had a peep under the bandage and to my surprise my eye hadn't dropped out it was still there.

Couldn't see out of it though which was worrying.

Because the bandage was in the way.

In only four days I could take the bandage off.

Wow I could see again (well a bit more again because I'd been using my other eye) and without hesitation I smacked that baby soundly.

Alternative non-violent ending: The first thing I did upon removing the bandage was hold my dear daughter lovingly in my arms and she pucked down my neck.
That’s a crazy story! Very lucky that you still have vision in that eye I think.

Damn kids hey! haha

Reactions: Redshark1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store