Green Terror in 55-Gallon

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Can I fit more than one bichir in my tank? I would love to have a bichir aquarium. I only have a 55 gallon tank...

What top dweller could I do? Could I go a Hujeta gar?
Thought you said you’d done hujetas and found them to hard?
You want something at the top go for a butterfly fish, they’re bigger and cooler than you’d think

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Thought you said you’d done hujetas and found them to hard?
You want something at the top go for a butterfly fish, they’re bigger and cooler than you’d think
I don't believe I said I thought they were too hard. I said feeding them live food was too hard. If a hujeta is okay for my tank, I can wean it off live food (if it isn't already off live food). I'm more experienced now than I was a year ago. Plus, I have a way I can do live food. I've figured out a way to do so since the comments regarding live food.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Upper jaw bichirs/ juvenile bichirs are generally more active compared to larger, lower jaw bichirs. At the moment you have two choices, you can go with cichlids and one bichir, or 3 bichirs with a school of smaller sized fish at the top, perhaps Congo tetras.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Ok. Choosing fish for my tank has legit driven me nuts again. I can't choose for the life of me, and it's getting worse. So, I will list all the fish that are appropriate for my tank that I'm interested in. Here I go:

SA/CA Cichlids: Convicts, EBJDs, and Firemouths.

SA/CA Oddballs: Hujeta Gars, Red Wolf Fish, and BGK.

SA/CA Schooling Fish: Emperor Tetras and Silver Dollars.

SA/CA Catfish: Striped Raphael Catfish and Pictus Catfish.

African Schooling Fish: Congo Tetras.

African Oddballs: Bichirs, Ropefish, and Elephant Nose Fish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that the fish I'm interested in is listed, what fish can go together?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hujeta, firemouth, bgk, and elephant nose shouldn’t be in a 55 - too big or active.
The red wolf will shred any tankmates, so I wouldn’t get one unless that’s the fish you want (and nothing else).
Silver dollars are flighty, so them in a 12 inch wide tank can prove problematic (not impossible, but a 75 or larger is better).
The emperor tetras would be good for everything else on that list.

I think that if you got a senegal bichir, convict cichlid, the cats you have, and the Congo tetras, it would be a fine setup to work with and not too overstocked.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Would this be ok?

1 Platinum Senegal Bichir, 1 Striped Raphael Catfish, 3 Silver dollars, and 3-5 Butterfly Fish.

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I think it’s doable - just keep the lights dim and give lots of cover to keep the silvers from freaking out.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I think it’s doable - just keep the lights dim and give lots of cover to keep the silvers from freaking out.
Check my edits. I just took away/added some. :)

Also, would this tank decor setup work?: Driftwood, medium to large cobbles, dim lighting, and maybe some floating plants or a hardy plant that can thrive in sand.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Check my edits. I just took away/added some. :)

Also, would this tank decor setup work?: Driftwood, medium to large cobbles, dim lighting, and maybe some floating plants or a hardy plant that can thrive in sand.
I’d pick the silvers or the butterflies (the butterflies would be more comfortable in a 55). Best to go with the butterflies in this case
Silvers do best with many of them (I only have 3, if the tank wasn’t already overstocked I’d get more though).

That setup sounds good - the bichir and cat would like the lower decor and the butterflies would appreciate the floating cover.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store