4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
TheFishGuy;3997611; said:
I've heard H. tourquoise can be like that, smae thing happened to a fellow OCA board member... only thing is he lost 8 of the 14 he had.... Speaking of herichthys, do you know of anyone whos got any deppi? I've got a huge male...
I started with 8, lost one right off as a juvie then raised the rest to adults. Had a bout with septicemia and lost two. Those two were just out of the blue. One day fine, next gone. This one was pure aggression. Hope they produce fry soon as I'm down to four.

Only person I know who had H. deppii was Jeff Rapps and possibly Mo Devlin.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Well sorta good news today. I was going to go take the Herichthys sp. turquoise out of the 65 and discard it and noticed slight gill movement while I was feeding another tank. It's barely still alive, but alive nonetheless. It moved some on its own. I had noticed it laying on its side. Yesterday, it was head down upside down and tail up. Treated tank with Fish Zole. Maybe it'll make it.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Trying a new type of brush tonight on the trim out. I found chip brushes at Harbor Freight. The bristles are shorter than a regular brush. 12 pack was on sale for about $5. They have hardwood handles and 100% natural bristles. I think the shorter bristles will do the trick and being cheap I don't mind throwing them away after.

About to start working on the 3rd coat. Weather got cold overnight with all the rain we had. Fortunately, Ken brought me two electric heaters from the camp. I have them cranked up and I'm about ready to roll.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
sazhar;3995743; said:
Just finished going through the thread, (took a couple of days) and that tank is simply unbelievable! With all the time and effort you put in to this tank, I hope you're going to charge addmission to everyone that walks in that room. I'd pay to spend a couple hours in front of that tank once it up and running!
Been tempted to make the 5-6 hour drive to take a peek once it's finished.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
New chip brush works great. Took a break to put a chicken on the rotisserie since my stomach was talking to me. Jumping back in to do the rolling part since I'm done trimming. Works best to trim out everything you can't hit with the roller first then come back and overlap. I bridged on to the acrylic about 1/2" and it seems to bond to it very well. I'm not going the full amount because I haven't taped off the window. Depending on how it looks after a few coats, I may not have to. 1/2" should be plenty.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
greenterra;4001151; said:
Looking good. I may have missed it in a previous post but I take it you have no plans on using geotextile cloth in the corners?
Was going to use the mesh tape used for drywall, but decided against it. The corners of the tank are the most reinforced with the 2x6s, so if they come apart I have a bigger problem than any geotextile cloth or mesh tape will handle.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
TIP: Don't use a cheap paint roller on the end of a non-telescoping paint pole while hanging precariously over the wall of your 6'2" deep tank.

Paint roller handle plastic breaks

Pole jams into side of tank making a 6" long zig zag scrape all the way to the plywood

Nearly fall into tank in the process (That would have hurt like hell and sucked really bad because the only way out aka the ladder was out of reach in the rafters AND the rubber coat was still wet)

Have no idea where broken off piece of plastic handle is in the tank and it is potentially a permanent part of the aquarium now since it probably landed in wet rubber coat.

Nearly give myself a coronary in the process

Some things are better done during normal working hours instead of 11:45 pm.

Hope you found this to be entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store