4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
zennzzo;4002423; said:
Chaz...sounds like you lost the edge...don't look down man...If you are thinking that way it's gonna happen...:(
On the contrary... Constantly thinking about what may happen reminds you to respect the tools and your personal limits.

nolapete;4003980; said:
I don't want fast. I'm filling to below the window (about 18") then letting it sit for a day. If that's all good, I'm going to fill it a foot every 12 hours until done.

I plan to have one of the filters up and running with all six drains going into the one settling tank with the Crystal Pond pump I bought from necroanis running it.

A friend has some pumps that I can borrow, but I may not use them because I don't want a huge electric bill from inefficient energy monsters.

They Crystal Pond pump draws about as much energy as two Hammerheads. I've decided to go with regular 3 year warranty pumps instead of the 5 year warranty ones. I know the Baldor motor is better, but $130+ a pump more x 4 is a bit much at one time. In 3 years if I decide to keep using the Hammerheads, I'll upgrade them to the Golds as they fail out of warranty.

I need to find a hot water recirculating system that works off of a thermostat rather than a timer. I've read they exist, but haven't found one yet. If you know of one, let me know.

I need a thermostat with submersible probe for the tank to control the normally closed solenoid on the PEX/CPVC loop. Find me one please someone.

Other than that, I'm good. Those are the only pieces I'm missing.
Jehmco has them for about $60 I believe. I have one running the heat pump on the big tank...

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Something like that Bubbles, but a bit less pricey.

Jonathan, I'll check Jehmco and see if they have what I'm looking for. Is your setup a recirculating system or you just rigged it to pump water back to the hotwater heater?

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I got a thermostat with remote probe from an air condition supply store once. Used it to turn a small freezer into a keg cooler. It was a copper probe though, you might not want that in your tank. It was about $40

They also make thermostats to control the circulation pumps and solenoid valves on radiant floor heat systems that have remote probes. The probe is made to be in the concrete with the pex. I can't remember the price though. They can be ordered online from radiant heat companies. I have had plan, in the back of my mind, to use an entire radiant heat system pumps, pex, valves, on demand water heater and the rest of the setup to heat some 1000+ gallon tanks that are on my long term list of projects.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Chaz88;4004170; said:
I got a thermostat with remote probe from an air condition supply store once. Used it to turn a small freezer into a keg cooler. It was a copper probe though, you might not want that in your tank. It was about $40

They also make thermostats to control the circulation pumps and solenoid valves on radiant floor heat systems that have remote probes. The probe is made to be in the concrete with the pex. I can't remember the price though. They can be ordered online from radiant heat companies. I have had plan, in the back of my mind, to use an entire radiant heat system pumps, pex, valves, on demand water heater and the rest of the setup to heat some 1000+ gallon tanks that are on my long term list of projects.
That's basically what I'm doing. I don't think on demand hot water heaters are recommended for hydronic radiant systems. The recirculating system sends the water back to the hot water heater through the cold water line yet still delivers cold water when needed. I have this thing just about pinned down if I can get the right components. It's actually very simple and I know it exists but I don't think I'm looking in the right place to find what I need. Going to have to do more research into hydronic radiant heating.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
My system is a closed loop with the hot water.

The hot water changes from copper to pex then coils in the sump and returns back to the sill cock of the house water heater. When it's called for recirculation by the thermostat it turns on the recirculation pump (grundfos) and hot water is circulated through the pex. The unit I got from them is this one:

http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

ETCI-1

I hard wired it protected by a GFI. Why pay for the plug end?

My heating system works great and can fluctuate heat very quickly if need be. I bought 100' of pex for $30... All you need to do is use a compression fitting to change over from copper to pex.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
www.radiantcompany.com

I bought a system from this company a few years ago. Long story short I ended up buying a house instead of building and sold the system. It was set up to provide heat and hot water for the house with an on demand heater. I don't think that kind of open loop system would be the best for tank heat but they have a lot of other options. The thermostat and pumps would probably work for you though. I haven't talked to them in a few years but when I did they were very friendly and eager to help.

www.radiantcompany.com/prices/prices.shtml

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Chaz88, that place is way out the park on prices.

RBE17, that's a good one. Thanks. That's about the price range I was looking for and their site gave me the information I needed about how the thermostat works with the timer.

Jonathan, my system will be almost identical to yours. My hot water heater is on the other side of the house from the tank. I think I have a few options:

1) Fish an extremely long thermostat probe wire from the tank to the pump at the hot water heater

2) Get a wireless thermostat for the tank/pump

3) Use a normally closed solenoid http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/2526/Solenoid-Valves/solenoid/0

Any will work with the recirculating system.

Optimally, I'd like to have a wireless thermostat that has a web app that I could access from my phone and control the temp in the tank.

Eventually, I'll be able to do that and will be able to check pH, nitrate, temp, etc. with a version of http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcatego...lus-Multiparameter-Instrument/nitrate probe/0 that I can check from my phone.

They have all the apps now that you can turn off lights and stuff, so why not open a valve to do a water change?

I wouldn't want to leave it to chance and let it be automatic, but the possibilities are endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store