4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
shinypenny;4130291; said:
Apologies for trying to help after you implied that you were unable to post pictures.

I'm sure that 20+ years in "the industry" really helps with online image hosting. I'm going to have to assume that "the industry" is nothing to do with the web, seen as the web is only 19 years old. But I'm sure whatever industry it is, you guys were hosting pictures way back. Maybe pinning them on cork boards or something? Did you mail them into a central location? Like postcards? I mean postcards were like the original almost-instant-messages. You guys must have been sooo far ahead of your time...

I said I am quite computer savvy and any intelligent person would understand the industry I was referring to was the computer industry. I know how long the web has been around and don't need your dumb comments. You're being a complete (insert words I can't post here...they ALL apply). Just because the web wasn't around doesn't mean pictures weren't hosted elsewhere electronically; i.e computer bulletin boards. I was a sysop for several years before the web was around.

If you don't have something pertinent to say about this build, please refrain from posting. Any more dumb, antagonistic comments will be reported and subsequently deleted.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
zennzzo;4130200; said:
Thanks Pete and fine lady...love the pix especially the last one, that one says it ALL to those it applies to...;);) :D
Thanks Z. I thought it was appropriate.

I'm going to clean up behind the tank later this week and see if I can get Ken over to start building the supports for the 55 gallon drum filters.

How successful was your algae scrubber? I was thinking about installing one on the roof above the tank and using a high-head pump to feed it. The screen would only be one-sided, but I think I could make it big enough to work.

I'm thinking a cheap plexi-glass lined plywood and 1x box with a plexi cover.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I've found out that the entire tank could be done in one day. When they apply it with the commercial spray equipment, one nozzle is spray grade permadri and the other is calcium chloride solution which causes the permadri to set up instantly. With the roll/brush grade, I've been told that I could spray calcium chloride solution after application and the result would be the same.

That said, I like the way I've done it even though it's taken much longer than anticipated. Due to my lack of time, not anything to do with the coating, each coat has been allowed enough time to completely cure before the next goes over it. Each coat bonds to the previous coat and becomes one membrane. It's really amazing material to work with. I like it so much that I'm considering investing in the spray equipment and taking the applicator training course.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
nolapete;4130458; said:
Thanks Z. I thought it was appropriate.

I'm going to clean up behind the tank later this week and see if I can get Ken over to start building the supports for the 55 gallon drum filters.

How successful was your algae scrubber? I was thinking about installing one on the roof above the tank and using a high-head pump to feed it. The screen would only be one-sided, but I think I could make it big enough to work.

I'm thinking a cheap plexi-glass lined plywood and 1x box with a plexi cover.
Solar powered it did just what it was supposed to do...I saw less algae in the totally exposed pool and my nitrates were considerably lower...
Just be sure you have easy access because weekly cleaning is an absolute must...and the glob of green you pull is a mess...;):D

That says a great deal about this product...by you considering investing in the application equipment and installation training...

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
wow I can't believe some people are so rude. thanks again for the updates Pete as much as I love seeing pics I also like to know things are going well in more than just the tank. I love the Permadri also. I hope yo ge getting a couple more coats on mine by the weekend and then test filling shortly after. I am also considering the application training and equipment. I think I can see so many places this would be great to use instead of traditional waterproofing

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I put another coat on tonight after I set up the pool and started filling it. I don't know how it happened; whether it was the ladder or my shoe, but something pulled up a divet about an inch or so around. I checked the ladder and my shoe and couldn't find it attached anywhere. The shoes I've been wearing are pretty old and the soles are all messed up. They're rubber, so probably a bad choice to walk around in there on my part. I tossed them tonight when I was done. Filled the divet and gave it time to dry while I was trimming out the rest of the tank. I'm considering cutting a piece of pond liner to fit the floor after I'm done coating the tank. It wouldn't be to seal anything, but to prevent rocks, sand, etc. from attaching to the floor coating.

The Permadri products remain tacky even after curing. Beneficial in that it self-heals, but it also grabs hold of anything that comes in contact with it. In example, I discovered that silverfish are attracted to it. They also get stuck to it once they walk on it. Tonight, I found a number of still alive adult silverfish stuck to the floor. This stuff is really useful. LOL Paint one side of a piece of cardboard with it then hide it behind the toilet and you have yourself an eco-friendly silverfish trap.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
The pond liner idea is pretty good. But does the permadri stay tacky even if you spray it with calcium chloride solution? Just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store