4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
No they don't know about it. Yes, I have homeowners and flood insurance. The homeowners would be the one that would cover any claim caused by the aquarium the first time then they'd add a rider to exclude it or include at a higher cost.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Got some sorta good news about the nature center project today, so cross your fingers and say a prayer or three.

Ken won't be over tonight, gf isn't feeling well, and I'm tired and have a million non-tank related things to do that I really have no energy to do. Uggh!

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
nolapete;4217624; said:
Ken is bringing over a bilge type pump that will do down to 1/4". BOR, work smart and route the hose out the bulk head instead of over the wall silly man.
Grrrrr, it's easy to make those decisions when you are looking at it!:D. I looked at the pump at Lowes todays and even with a 6' wall it will still pump over 1200gph. Max height is 25'. Glad you have a source with a pump....saves you $114.00. I really glad the viewing window sealed good, I was worried about that!

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
BOR, if I had problems with the window after all of that effort put into sealing it, I was going to rip the whole tank out.

For the uninformed or late arrivals,

The 2" cell cast acrylic is inset into a 2x6 + 2x4 + 1x4 frame.

The 2x6 outer frame was screwed together then the 2x4 pieces were glued with Liquid Nails Heavy Duty construction adhesive then screwed to the 2x6 frame with 3" deck screws every 6 inches. The 1x4 frame was attached with the same adhesive but screwed on to the 2x4 every 16-18" or so.

Think of how the glass is inset into the back side of a picture frame.

There are 1/2" and 3/8" hard rubber spacers between the acrylic and the wood frame.

Dow 795 was used to bond the acrylic to the wood in the recess, partially on the front side and completely around the 2" edge of the acrylic. I say partially, since I didn't have Ken there to remind me to apply Dow 795 to both the front side of the acrylic and the wood frame. That was a huge lesson learned. Would have been much easier to get those two surfaces sealed solid. We ended up backfilling some with Dow 795, but due to its thickness we resorted to regular 100% silicone clear to fill the voids.

The rear seal of the acrylic which is certainly the true water tight seal of the three (front, edge, back). After the voids were filled in the edge seal with Dow 795, 4 hard rubber pieces were attached with Dow 795 over the edge seal and to the acrylic. These were head in place with wood bracing until the Dow 795 cured. I applied Rubber coat to the plywood and hard rubber and on to the acrylic (I masked the acrylic with masking tape to leave a 3/4" border). I also applied mess tape over the gap between the plywood and the hard rubber then coated it with Rubber Coat.

Rubber coat bonds amazingly well to acrylic, so there's a strong bridge from the acrylic over the hard rubber which it also bonds well to then on to the plywood sheathing.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
nolapete;4222607; said:
BOR, if I had problems with the window after all of that effort put into sealing it, I was going to rip the whole tank out.

For the uninformed or late arrivals,

The 2" cell cast acrylic is inset into a 2x6 + 2x4 + 1x4 frame.

The 2x6 outer frame was screwed together then the 2x4 pieces were glued with Liquid Nails Heavy Duty construction adhesive then screwed to the 2x6 frame with 3" deck screws every 6 inches. The 1x4 frame was attached with the same adhesive but screwed on to the 2x4 every 16-18" or so.

Think of how the glass is inset into the back side of a picture frame.

There are 1/2" and 3/8" hard rubber spacers between the acrylic and the wood frame.

Dow 795 was used to bond the acrylic to the wood in the recess, partially on the front side and completely around the 2" edge of the acrylic. I say partially, since I didn't have Ken there to remind me to apply Dow 795 to both the front side of the acrylic and the wood frame. That was a huge lesson learned. Would have been much easier to get those two surfaces sealed solid. We ended up backfilling some with Dow 795, but due to its thickness we resorted to regular 100% silicone clear to fill the voids.

The rear seal of the acrylic which is certainly the true water tight seal of the three (front, edge, back). After the voids were filled in the edge seal with Dow 795, 4 hard rubber pieces were attached with Dow 795 over the edge seal and to the acrylic. These were head in place with wood bracing until the Dow 795 cured. I applied Rubber coat to the plywood and hard rubber and on to the acrylic (I masked the acrylic with masking tape to leave a 3/4" border). I also applied mess tape over the gap between the plywood and the hard rubber then coated it with Rubber Coat.

Rubber coat bonds amazingly well to acrylic, so there's a strong bridge from the acrylic over the hard rubber which it also bonds well to then on to the plywood sheathing.
You may as well just post this every couple of pages or so. if you dont people will keep on asking so they dont have to read through 150 pages or however many pages there are on this thread.

surnimensis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
South Wales U.K.
No posts for a day? That man pete must be a busy bloke! After reading from the start of 3600 I've become totally stuck to this thread! I may have to build a wooden tank of my own! Never say die son yr almost there! ;{]

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
I figure its going to be about a week before the tank is dry enough to attempt re-coating. The hard part is, there's no real way of knowing exactly where the leak is, so there is no real way of knowing if its fixed. I hope its a simple add a few more coats kind of fix, but this thread may be turning a corner and going another 160 pages. (Knock on wood, I hope not Pete!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store