4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johns

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2009
Santa Clarita California
Pete,
Simple yet effective. I like it! Familyman is right, But a simple swing check valve before returning to the cold will solve that issue. I also would reccomend valves just in case.

redman88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Artesia, NM
i depends on where in the cold line it is plumbed into. if it is plumbed in right before the cold goes in to the hot water heater then there is no problem. the water just get reheated and sent back to the house.

johns

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2009
Santa Clarita California
redman88;4237749; said:
i depends on where in the cold line it is plumbed into. if it is plumbed in right before the cold goes in to the hot water heater then there is no problem. the water just get reheated and sent back to the house.

It Is not

"The hot water recirculating system connects to the washing machine hot/cold supply lines; this serves as an added benefit to get hot water to the washer fast. It allows the spent hot water to be sent back to the hot water heater via the cold water supply line."

EllTee424

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
NoVA
Woohoo. After all this lurking I finally have something to contribute...

TLDR - the check valve is key.

I just installed a hot water recirc system in my house (not for fish, but because the wife was complaining about having to run the water for two minutes in the morning before she could take a shower). When I initially installed it, I didn't put a check valve in on the "reverse" side of the pump (between the pump and where it T's into the hot water supply). Because of this, when the pump was running , everything was fine - the model I have has both a thermostat and timer.

However, if you turned the shower on when the pump wasn't running, you would pull hot water from the tank, along with lukewarm water from the HW return line (i.e. from the cold supply), resulting in a chilly shower. In your case, it would pull the tank temperature water out of your heating loop.

I installed a swing check valve rather than a spring one, figuring that the only time it needed to be closed was when I turned on a shower, etc. You'll get a little 'backwash' when the system is static, but since it's all potable water I think that should be fine. I figured that it would put less restriction on the pump when it's running, and be more reliable in the long run, since I don't have to worry about a spring in the check valve.

I also installed manual ball valves on both sides of the pump, so I can take it out for maintenance or to modify the system without having to drain the entire recirc system.

Awesome build. It makes my 125+75g sump seem pitiful by comparison.

familyman03

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
They are correct a swing check will be rather effective. Depending on the size of the circ pump a spring check can put some un-needed stress on the pump. IMHO and IME and the pump choice, you are more than likely going with an inexpensive model, you should use a swing check valve on the outlet side of the pump to prevent the destruction of the impeller from reverse flow. Also, the solenoid is not needed.:popcorn: I am truly enjoying this build and you have giving me some great ideas for my personal build. Out of curiousity, Pete, why did you not put a floor drain in on the tank for flushing and easy draining?

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
nolapete;4242078; said:
Just finished emptying out the tank. Gf did a lot of the work to empty it and I think she found the divet that is causing the leak. Tank has to dry out before I can coat it.
Thank You beautiful Italian Lady friend of Pete's!!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
we <3 you...

excellent work...

Exodon Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Maryland, USA
You're my hero, man!! that is purely awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store