4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
nolapete;4251267; said:
No one really commented on the structure not budging at all. I know we didn't get to 4300 with the fill test, but 3700 is nothing to scoff at; even 3000 is pretty darn good. The 2x6 "lincoln logs" method is solid.

I'd think 2x4 would be sufficient on any tank under 2000 gallons. For the 2x4 tanks, I'd use a 2x4 window frame with 2x3 inset.
It's not really surprising this didn't bulge at all... your walls have a safety factor of somewhere around 50 in their design. I'm sure that spaced, framed 2x4's with a 2x6 top lip and plywood lining would have been enough for this build as well, but I understand the motivation for extra insurance.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
cvermeulen;4251882; said:
It's not really surprising this didn't bulge at all... your walls have a safety factor of somewhere around 50 in their design. I'm sure that spaced, framed 2x4's with a 2x6 top lip and plywood lining would have been enough for this build as well, but I understand the motivation for extra insurance.
Based on the flex I've seen in tanks designed that way, I doubt seriously that regular frame construction would have held at 74" deep.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Tell the truth Pete...
As a child you were playing with the Lincoln Log set, and you said to yourself...
Self, Someday I am going to build something for "real" with Lincoln Logs...
and this is what materialized...

and a fine materialization it is!!...;)

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
nolapete;4252035; said:
Based on the flex I've seen in tanks designed that way, I doubt seriously that regular frame construction would have held at 74" deep.
I guess it's purely academic, but I disagree. Perhaps we're envisioning different things.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
nolapete;4252395; said:
How can you disagree, when Rich and others using that type of construction had bowing?
A couple of anecdotal failures don't completely disprove a design methodology. There are some examples of big tanks built that way that have NOT failed or bowed also. A detail here and there can make a big difference to whether something leaks or not.

But anyway, like I said it's an academic debate - I'm not criticizing your construction method, I'm only saying it's hardly surprising that it doesn't bend when filled.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
cvermeulen;4252453; said:
A couple of anecdotal failures don't completely disprove a design methodology. There are some examples of big tanks built that way that have NOT failed or bowed also. A detail here and there can make a big difference to whether something leaks or not.

But anyway, like I said it's an academic debate - I'm not criticizing your construction method, I'm only saying it's hardly surprising that it doesn't bend when filled.
Show me ONE that hasn't bowed and didn't need additional reinforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store