4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Installed the mesh tape as shown in the pics. The divot that we think is the culprit is the one covered by the mesh tape square by the left leg of the ladder.

Coated the mesh tape and 4" of the wall with first coat. The tank floor that was covered with the pond liner wasn't dry, so I have to wait another day or so for it to be dry to roll out the floor. Going to try to get two more coats on the taped areas tomorrow night. Hopefully, Saturday I'll be able to roll out the floor a couple times. Shooting for Tuesday for fill test.

DSCN0036.JPG

DSCN0037.JPG

DSCN0038.JPG

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
I guess bright yellow mesh tape makes sure you get it covered completely...

Still one of the most amazing builds I've seen. Hopefully I'll be able to copy it in some form or another one day in the future...

Can't wait to see it filled and not leaking a single drop!

Pepito

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I always click this thread first if I see there's been a new post in it. :popcorn:

I'm excited to see this thing 100% leak proof~ Good luck on Tuesday!

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
that mesh tape sure will show if there is any missed. keep up the good work pete. as for the stick frame argument I believe it will work but at the cost of alot thicker ply and alot closer spacing on the vertical boards. also using 2x6 as a minimum. your tank is a beast and is definatly the safer way to build it. by far. I know I never once thought you would have any bowing

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
My 1500 was stick built. 2x4's 8" oc. The tank was 54" top to bottom in the back and it bowed an inch. Now there's no deep end to deal with and the whole tank is 30" top to bottom. Kind of disapointing because the deep end was a really cool and unique feature. Oh well, live and learn.... Incidently the back was was only 96"x54" and I do get to see all of the catfish more often now...

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'm not saying that stick built doesn't work, but it surely isn't as secure as what I've done. I'd rather not take the risk when it's inside my house.

Knowing what I know now, I could probably build this tank in a weekend or two.

I'd build it using 8' and 10' lumber. I wouldn't put all the cutouts. It would only be 3700 gallons, but I'd be able to walk on either side of it. Although, the acrylic would have to be off center to be able to do that with the way the dining room and fish room are situated.

If I had to do it over, I'd tear down the sunroom that connects to the living room, pour a new slab with 2' footers, and have the viewing window on that end of the room. Who knows, that could very well be another project at some point. 120 x 144 x 74 = 5535 gallons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store