4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
john73738;4283898; said:
I remember reading this but how thick did you pour the slab?

Reading the above post stating "a few thousand pounds" made me think of what an understatement! Using the 1# per gallon rule of thumb for substrate, I figured that your tank will weigh 43000 - 45000 pounds. And the think I was worried about my 3000# tank :nilly:
Water alone is 8.34 lbs per gallon so this tank is a couple tons

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
A true test of your patients for sure...
And I know the feeling, oh so well,
I put total confidence in my welding and fiberglass skills, then spent a week trying to find the leak...Believe me I had to make conscious effort NOT to sink that sucker right at the dock!!

You'll find it Pete, It'll just take some time...
btw how much are we talking here as far as amount?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
nolapete;4282836; said:
Egon, you might want to read a little.

1) It's 4300 gallons -
Hey just some suggestions from the peanut gallery, I'm just sitting at work with nothing to do but think about your build. Put me on ignore if my suggestions seem ridiculous. I must not have read every post but It can't be the cost of the water? Who would build a huge tank and not have the cash to fill it? Must be worried about a possible catastrophic failure? Don't worry about it. The tank is built strong, over built by maybe 100% which is good! Ya gota fill it eventually might as well fill it to capacity and mark all the leaks. Have drains plumbed to the back yard and extra pumps on standby for fastest possible draining when the time comes. Test fill once, drain it and repair. Then fill one more time, done. - Hopefully
2) The leak shows up WAY before the half way mark, so why would I want to fill it to the top? - Filling to the top can seal small leaks and or show new pressure type leaks. Eventually your going to fill to the top correct? At that point you will know if the tank holds water. Who cares if the tank holds a thousand gallons if it still leaks when filled to capacity?
3) See number 1 - high school?
4) See number 1 - women issues?
5) See number 1 - wow three times lol anger issues? :grinno:

:p
nolapete;4283183; said:
Not leaking this morning. Kind of embarrassing that the leak is not below the window. What I did to the bottom won't hurt by any means, but seems unnecessary now. Going to raise the water level a couple inches when I get home.
- yes, fill the tank to the top and the leak will show itself.....................frustrating I know. I never had a 4300 gallon tank but I've had a few pressure type leakers in the past.

Conner;4283190; said:
It could be the leak is below the level of the window, but won't show until you've got enough water in the tank to create enough pressure for the leak to start.

I can't imagine how this thing is leaking, considering all that went into building it, but it seems like the best of builds on here always end up with one or two little leaks no matter what.
There's a lot of pressure, stress, and minute movements when filling and some leaks (around the window for example) may seal them selves once the tank is full. Of course other leaks may show themselves when the tank is full. :)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
False alarm on the back side leak. Dumb bulkhead got loosened when I was moving the pipe into position the other day to drain the tank.

Egon, I understand your logic, but until I resolve the leak that occurs when less than half, I'm not going to push on to discover any more.

Good news is, no leaks at 17" deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store