4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Not leaking this morning. Kind of embarrassing that the leak is not below the window. What I did to the bottom won't hurt by any means, but seems unnecessary now. Going to raise the water level a couple inches when I get home.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
nolapete;4283183; said:
Not leaking this morning. Kind of embarrassing that the leak is not below the window. What I did to the bottom won't hurt by any means, but seems unnecessary now. Going to raise the water level a couple inches when I get home.
It could be the leak is below the level of the window, but won't show until you've got enough water in the tank to create enough pressure for the leak to start.

There weren't any visible wet spots (other than on the floor) when it was leaking before?

I can't imagine how this thing is leaking, considering all that went into building it, but it seems like the best of builds on here always end up with one or two little leaks no matter what.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
When it does leak, it only channels out the side by the French doors. That could be due to the slight incline of the slab in that direction or that the leak is on that side. When I had the concrete poured to raise the slab to the same level as the rest of the house, it was supposed to remove the incline. Who knows? It's driving me crazy that after all of the effort, as you said Conner, that I'm dealing with this stupid leak. Especially because my original plan was to go with a pond liner like my friend's tanks and I would have been done many months ago.

Z Rex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Florida Panhandle
The incline could be due to soil compaction under the foundation, perhaps. Having a few thousand gallons of water on top of it would just make it worse.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Z Rex;4283265; said:
The incline could be due to soil compaction under the foundation, perhaps. Having a few thousand gallons of water on top of it would just make it worse.
No, it's not. It was a garage prior to being closed in and the slab was poured with an incline. The house was built in 1966 and when it was inspected in 2002 when I bought it there was only 3/4" variance throughout the house with a liquid level. According to the inspector that is normal construction tolerance. So, to be blunt you're incorrect.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
It seems to be leaking, but the moisture is from the back of the tank. I didn't have time to inspect thoroughly at lunch, but plan to do so when I get home. I suspect that the change in location is due to saturation of the sub floor supports.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I remember reading this but how thick did you pour the slab?

Reading the above post stating "a few thousand pounds" made me think of what an understatement! Using the 1# per gallon rule of thumb for substrate, I figured that your tank will weigh 43000 - 45000 pounds. And the think I was worried about my 3000# tank :nilly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store