4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
It seems more and more like its going to turn out to be a pressure leak. In which case I don't know if just additional coats will fix it. Have you considered any options about what to do in that case?

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
nolapete;4357729; said:
Failure again...
Pete,
That just means we're one step closer to finding it...Any chance of letting it set and swell closed...then drain and recoat?

I'm almost thinking that is is a pressure flex in the walls...any way of diving it right now with a snorkel and bright light??

I know they rent pipe cameras to see the inside of pipes and display it as a video....can you get a tiny probing camera, to get to where the leak might be?

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
nolapete;4357776; said:
draining it then going to dry it out for a few days then coat it with what's left in the open 5 gallon container then test again. I don't think it's the bottom since I have so much coating on it. Going to focus on the walls and seams. It dries by the time I go around the tank, so I'm just going to keep applying coating until the 5 gallon bucket is empty.
Holly **** Pete, how many coats thick are you going?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
As I've said OVER AND OVER it's not the Permadri product that is the problem, it's something I missed. If it was the Permadri product, the thing would be leaking like a sieve.

No, Z, there's no spotting it like that. You'd need at least 100x magnification to even begin to try to find something so tiny. And allowing it to continue to leak does nothing but degrade the structure of the tank. It won't magically seal even though the Permadri will self heal. The coating has to be sound to begin with for that to happen. I feel that the coating is too thin somewhere.

It has to be 60 mil or 2 credit cards thick to work. When you roll the coating like I did on the walls, the coats are very thin. It takes a lot to build up. It'll probably just be two coats more, but thicker ones.

Conner, the only other option is putting a pond liner in it. I have not applied the amount of coating that Permadri recommended yet, so it may very well be my error. If it is a pressure leak, sufficient coating on the tank WILL resolve it. Unlike Pond Armor, Permadri coatings stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store