4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
cvermeulen;3574493; said:
Sorry if we'ver already been over this pete - I totally forget - did you not want to use polyester? I'm not sure it would be cheaper, but it might warrant a look-see. You're covering a pretty large area, I guess its gonna be expensive no matter what.

Can the blue max be pigmented?
Polyester as in fiberglass? If so, no thanks. After seeing how much effort it took Joe to do his 1700 shark tank with it, I'll pass. My time is worth the extra cost for ease of use. If not, then please enlighten me on this polyester you have referred to and several occasions.

larryluvfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2008
Summerville, SC
nolapete;3574500; said:
Polyester as in fiberglass? If so, no thanks. After seeing how much effort it took Joe to do his 1700 shark tank with it, I'll pass. My time is worth the extra cost for ease of use. If not, then please enlighten me on this polyester you have referred to and several occasions.

How are you gonna apply the Blue Max if you get it? If your gonna use a 6" or 8" putty knife like TFG did, then it won't be much harder laying fiberglass mat using a squeege.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
larryluvfish;3574662; said:
How are you gonna apply the Blue Max if you get it? If your gonna use a 6" or 8" putty knife like TFG did, then it won't be much harder laying fiberglass mat using a squeege.
Umm, you don't apply Blue Max with a putty knife. It can be brushed, rolled, squeegied, or sprayed on; same with Pond Coat. Fiberglass has to be sanded, gel-coated, and smells f'n nasty while being applied. You might want to read up on Blue Max and Pond Coat.

TFG used Pond Armor not Blue Max. The only person on here other than me that was going to try Blue Max was necroanis on his catfish tank.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
nolapete;3574500; said:
Yeah I meant fiberglass. Anyway you look at it though it won't save you any money. I used polyester products to seal my 600 but I also already had them laying about.

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
That's too bad about the zavlar being so expensive. I really thought it was going to work. Have you thought about using the sweetwater epoxy by aquatic eco systems? That's not terribly expensive and it comes in quite a few different colors.

Also, if a member who lives in Canada is willing to help you out I think they might be able to cut that zavlar price in half. Its made in Canada and its really cheap there so I'm thinking maybe you could save quite a bit if someone would be willing to help out.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
brianhellno;3576704; said:
That's too bad about the zavlar being so expensive. I really thought it was going to work. Have you thought about using the sweetwater epoxy by aquatic eco systems? That's not terribly expensive and it comes in quite a few different colors.

Also, if a member who lives in Canada is willing to help you out I think they might be able to cut that zavlar price in half. Its made in Canada and its really cheap there so I'm thinking maybe you could save quite a bit if someone would be willing to help out.
I don't want to use an epoxy coating. If I was, I'd most likely get Pond Armor.

There would probably be import duty on it that would make it about the same price as buying it here.

It's really not the cost that is bugging me.

I was really excited about Blue Max and would like to see it be a viable coating for us all. Necroanis had good results with it on the catfish tank.

That said, I think it's worth the extra cost for the Pond Coat to give me the puncture assurance and black color that I prefer.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
nolapete;3576766; said:
I don't want to use an epoxy coating. If I was, I'd most likely get Pond Armor.

There would probably be import duty on it that would make it about the same price as buying it here.

It's really not the cost that is bugging me.

I was really excited about Blue Max and would like to see it be a viable coating for us all. Necroanis had good results with it on the catfish tank.

That said, I think it's worth the extra cost for the Pond Coat to give me the puncture assurance and black color that I prefer.
What is it you're looking for in a finish besides a black color?

If I lived in an area like yours I would be looking into some sort of epoxy, polyester or vinyl ester resin. There are probably dozens of places that carry them in 5 gallon quantities. My guess is that you could find something for $50 per gallon or less.

The single-component (1K) asphalt and elastomeric emulsions are obviously desireable but for a project like this I would have a very hard time passing up the strength and longevity of a two-component (2K) resin system.

I would also at least get a quote on some local operation that could spray it with polyurea.

Super Turtleman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
Thanks for the explanation Pete.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
CJH;3576814; said:
What is it you're looking for in a finish besides a black color?

If I lived in an area like yours I would be looking into some sort of epoxy, polyester or vinyl ester resin. There are probably dozens of places that carry them in 5 gallon quantities. My guess is that you could find something for $50 per gallon or less.

The single-component (1K) asphalt and elastomeric emulsions are obviously desireable but for a project like this I would have a very hard time passing up the strength and longevity of a two-component (2K) resin system.

I would also at least get a quote on some local operation that could spray it with polyurea.
lol, you can keep beating that drum, but I'm not gonna dance...

larryluvfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2008
Summerville, SC
nolapete;3575294; said:
Umm, you don't apply Blue Max with a putty knife. It can be brushed, rolled, squeegied, or sprayed on; same with Pond Coat. Fiberglass has to be sanded, gel-coated, and smells f'n nasty while being applied. You might want to read up on Blue Max and Pond Coat.

TFG used Pond Armor not Blue Max. The only person on here other than me that was going to try Blue Max was necroanis on his catfish tank.

Thanks man, I really didn't know that it doesn't smell bad. I guess working with resin and gelcoat everyday you get use to the smell or it become part on one of your senses.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store